Review of "Basic Disc Mastering" second edition

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

concretecowboy71

Review of "Basic Disc Mastering" second edition

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:10 pm

Hey everybody:

Several months ago I was contacted about reviewing a copy of the new edition of Basic Disc Mastering. Not only was I flattered to be able to read this but also offer some insights into what new information was included.

Here you go:

Having read a borrowed copy of Larry Boden's Basic Disc Mastering when I was getting started as a cutting engineer, I was excited when I heard that a “new” edition of the book was being considered and I wondered what would be added to this already helpful text.

Although I have never met Larry in person, it becomes clear right away that he has a passion for what he does. As a writer, Larry has a gift for translating a topic that can be intimidating into some very common sense explanations without omitting essential learning points. The first part of the book contains the what seems to be the complete first edition which includes explanations of the core ideas and principles of disc cutting. I have been asked innumerable times by aspiring disc cutters where they can go to “school” to learn the craft. As we know, the only school for disc cutting these days is the school of “hands on experience”. The first 50 pages of this book, however, supply enough information for somebody unfamiliar with the basic terminology and concepts to at least ask informed questions. This is not to say that the text is only for “newbies” or beginners. As an experienced cutter myself, I walked away with several insights concerning groove geometry that I had not thought about in quite sometime.

While the first section of the book may seem very basic, I believe in this case it works to the advantage of the text and for the reader. Mathematical formulas are kept to a minimum and pictures and graphics help to make crucial points concerning groove defects and phase issues. This, I believe allows the reader to keep reading without having to stop and digest dense math which might cause some to set the book down forever.

I am happy to see all of this information back in print, and due in large part to the public's renewed interest in the vinyl medium, I think the first section of this book will inspire a new generation of record cutters. But, what is NEW in this book? The addition of several hundred pages of information spanning the the spectrum of disc recording from the 1930's all the way to the end of the first age of vinyl. Articles range from old patent drawings to a discussion of QUAD audio, many of which have never been published before. It is these appendices that hold the largest appeal to the seasoned record cutter, the DIY record cutter and anybody interested in the the science and practical application of disc cutting procedures. I waded in and was blown away by the information I found. It was best for me to digest these sections in piece by piece instead of trying to read it “cover to cover”. I found several very informative sections on the application of stereo cutting, troubleshooting and comparisons of various cutting systems. These sections tend to be more technical but are worth the time and effort needed to fully grasp them. Also interesting to note is that in a cutting world dominated by Neumann and a few Scully lathes, there is plenty of info on more obscure cutting systems and how they were developed.

This books sounds great, right? Yes, it certainly is and I would happily spend my hard earned dollars on a copy, but the one glaring omission from the book is any kind of nod to cutting in the digital age. Computers have taken over the audio world and there is no discussion at all concerning this shift. Those of us in the business know already that you just replace the words “tape machine” with “computer,” but I think a discussion of two very important topics; disc cutting in the era of super hot “slammed” masters and digital to analog converters would be very helpful to a novice.

All in all, this book is a great addition to the experienced cutters collection and is essential to anybody interested in disc cutting but does not know where to begin. Included also is a list of active cutting engineers and pressing plants. Let me put it more simply, Larry expresses a love for single malt scotch...if I were to meet him in a small neighborhood bar, I would certainty buy him a double scotch on the rocks to thank him for getting this back into print!

Clint Holley
Well Made Music

I do not really belong to a lot of forums so anybody who would care to repost this on another forum, feel free. The book really is great and I hope it comes in handy for some folks out there. Just for the record, I have never met Larry in person and did not receive any compensation to do this.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

Virtalahde

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:18 pm

Sounds excellent. When it's going to be available?

concretecowboy71

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:48 pm

I was told that the covers were being printed up and they are shooting for the middle of this month.

I am sure they will chime in and tell you when and where.

If you want to PM me, I will pass along Larry's email.

Clint

Virtalahde

Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Cool, thanks. No rush here, I don't think they're going to keep it hidden in the drawer. My money's waiting.

concretecowboy71

Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Bump.

concretecowboy71

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Larry has told me that he will be selling on EBAY later this week (Thursday).

Under the category of "Books"

Virtalahde

Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:41 am

I'll be bidding on one for sure, thanks for the info.

tragwag

Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:26 pm

very nice!
I'm looking now
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

blacknwhite

Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Dub Bull

Re: Review of "Basic Disc Mastering" second edition

Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:11 pm

This book is now in limited supply and can only be ordered on eBay, afaik. There might be around 20 copies left, and no more are planned to be printed.

Nice stuff on every topic, from styli to CD-4.

- Father Jose

Stevie342000

Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:20 am

Hello depends on what the final fun was, I just purchased a copy on eBay waiting for it to be shipped out, not a cheap book but given the demand it should not go down in value.

Given how long it has taken to sell this second batch of the print copy the demand is limited especially when off set by the cost of samll print runs.

Anyhow expect mine to hit my door mat at the end of the month, can not wait but will have to.

emidisc

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:00 am

Would be nice to see a kindle (or alternative e-reader) version to save on all that postage??
Emidisc

Stevie342000

Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:08 am

Your not wrong and it would cut printing costs but who would host or publish it?

It is the way of the future, removing the cost of import duty/postage from the equation which by the time it makes its way to my door in the UK was nearly as much as the book, ridiculous, personally I thought books were exempt from import duty?