Zenith Records Milestone

Topics regarding professional record cutting.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

mossboss

Zenith Records Milestone

Sun May 05, 2024 5:44 am

Hi all
After a long pause here I decided to start posting again sharing some knowledge picking up some new tid/bits etc
Well it also 15 years of continuous production at Zenith records under my stewardship, what is the milestone?
10,000 titles have been cut plated and pressed in house,
Considering our small population here in Australia of 25-26 M ppl that's quite a lot which indicates the love of vinyl records in this country
It seems that the game is still going strong despite the recent downtrend we are going to be around no doubt
Best
Chris

Radardoug

Re: Zenith Records Milestone

Sun May 05, 2024 5:18 pm

Congratulations on your milestone! For a dead technology, vinyl is still very alive.

MEGAMIKE

Tue May 07, 2024 2:27 am

Biglove from us always .....Christos Anesti.....

mossboss

Tue May 07, 2024 7:18 am

Cheers Man
Best
Chris

Aussie0zborn

Tue May 07, 2024 8:58 pm

Welcome back!

You forgot to mention you make your own inner sleeves and jackets. That a big advantage and another milestone for any plant.

mossboss

Wed May 08, 2024 3:43 am

Thank you Michael
Sure we have been doing all of this for a while now, Outer covers/Jackets for all sizes 7" 10" 12" standard, plus double and gatefolds either one or two records, lately a triple record!! Gatefold and a half? what would one call that?? that was challenging,
Record was Cogs, it certainly got our cogs going how to get it done, all good, weighs about a kilo with the 3x180 gram records in plus inserts shrink stickers etc
We also do our own labels and inner bags with or without holes in black and white printed inner sleeves as well, for about a couple of years at least, it is more or less a given kind of thing
Breaking the 10K cutting plating and pressing was something I was looking forward to, I guess well over 3.5 Million records left our plant say at an average of 350 records per title, suffice to say some runs where in the 1-5K range plus a few in the 10K range, may be closer to 4 Million as a guess of course
Once again not to bad for Australia
Best
C
Chris

andyburnout

Wed May 08, 2024 10:07 pm

Congratulations Chris,
I've always had great service from Zenith, though I've only done a couple of records. I've always enjoyed watching what comes out of the factory.

untitledthe

Sat May 11, 2024 9:30 am

Congratz, also great work on the engineering! Love that stuff, moulds, extruders, pins and bushes, great!

mossboss

Sat May 11, 2024 10:38 pm

Thank You
We have an engineering tool and die making division where we produce moulds, and other items for our industry, we are well equipped with CNC and manual machines,
Since hardly any innovation or development on moulds has taken place since 1970 odd, we now we have developed quite unique record pressing moulds for our own use as well as offering them to the market, we have a few sets already out in the field
Feedback received so far: Nice flat lightweight record 130-140 gram, 35-40% reduction of cycle time, 180 Gram records same again little less, 30% reduction of cycle time, well any saving in energy usage like power, Steam, water, besides the extra production is a plus
Pins and bushes for Alphas Hamilton's Lened's Made from unique steel stock, that's after trying out about 30 different types, they last twice as long, we have proof, we use them!
By the way the above is the end result of around 6+ years of perseverance, to get it right I don't even want to think about the $$$ invested in this or it makes me dizzy! ha
Also
Twin barrel extruders: Used for blobs half and half records, also unique shaped star and circle pucks plus whirls etc etc
Another item in the works, 100% PVC recovery system for rejected pressings, without punching out the center that wastes around the 10-15% of the material fully automatic
We can also undertake the manufacture of replacement parts for our industry or parts that one may require one off or small quantities

Best
C
Chris