Custom Presto Experiment

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

lewisw

Custom Presto Experiment

Sun May 26, 2024 3:28 am

I purchased a Presto cutting lathe a few years ago (not sure if it is a 6N or 8N?) from a local auction house.

It was in pretty rough shape, the motor worked but wasn't spinning at the right speed. It only had the rim drive puck for the 33 1/3 RPM puck, but it was very worn down. After lots of messing around, getting the motor rebuilt and trying to get an adapter for 45's I kind of gave up on the project. The motor quickly stopped working after getting it serviced.

After a motorbike project (which I've learnt to do some pretty amateur welding!) and getting heavily into 3D printing I've came back to this project and I'm hoping to finish it off!

Basically my idea is to weld up a metal frame for the disc to spin on with the cutting head etc but in a way that allows for me make the device belt driven so I can precisely control the speed. I also want the trolley to have 19inch rack space for some VU and Phase Meters and interface on the top. And then more 19inch rack space on the bottom for the amp and computer etc. There will also be a computer monitor attached for operating Pro Tools for sending audio to cut, which can also be used for the digital microscope I've bought. I run a commercial recording studio so it needs to be on a trolley so I can move it in and out of the control room for live to vinyl sessions.

I didn't want to modify or damage any of the original parts. I realised that the shaft was 19mm and would fit perfectly in a 4 bolt flange pillow block. I imagine these blocks will allow the shaft to spin a lot smoother and more quietly than the ball bearing it was sitting on. This then also gives me enough room at the bottom of the original shaft to attach a v belt pulley wheel.

With the recent advancements in battery powered bikes and scooters, it seems like there are lots of affordable small high torque motors available which are more powerful than the original motor. It will also be a lot easier to control the RPM etc.

I've purchased a stereo TKV cutting head so I can do stereo cuts and avoid the high ohm OG cutter head.

I've got the frame tacked together and the motor working. I just need to work out where I'm going to mount the cutting over head arm and 3D print some sort of spacer to lift it to the correct height etc. I've 3d printed a mount which is working pretty well for the motor and I have rubber grommets decoupling the motor bracket from the frame.

I've got a digital RPM meter coming this week which I'll attach.

Attached is a photo of where I am up to. The disc is spinning well! and I think this might actually work. I'm by no means an engineer or a welder and completely new to vinyl lathes so any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I'll keep posting in this thread as I'm going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sameal

Re: Custom Presto Experiment

Sun May 26, 2024 11:32 am

Looks good!

If there was a way to add in a "floating tabletop" to the design that would be worth the climb I think. And now is the time to do it. I made the mistake of not completing mine and now I have to disassemble everything to finish.

I'm hoping to make an arduino pitch computer soon. If I get anywhere with it ill share

piaptk

Re: Custom Presto Experiment

Sun May 26, 2024 3:55 pm

Interesting idea! In case it doesnt work out, and for those with similar motor issues, Jed in Poland makes a great external belt drive motor that works great on a 6n (thats what you have, btw). I distribute these motors in the US.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com