Nice Biography of Alan Lomax. References to lathes he used.

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

concretecowboy71

Nice Biography of Alan Lomax. References to lathes he used.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:55 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Alan-Lomax-Man-Recorded-World/dp/0670021997

I am reading this book right now and not only does it show how Alan and John Lomax helped preserve American Folk Music, it also tells about the various recorders that they used starting with cylinder recording.

They kept it all in the trunk of their car and hauled the gear where ever they needed it. Lathe, Amps (tube obviously, given the time period) and Batteries to run the whole shooting match! Makes my job look easy!
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

blacknwhite

Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:00 am

Very Cool, Clint! Looks like a fun read, just ordered a used copy, thanks.

A 78-mail-trading friend just took a vacation trip including Sun Studio in Memphis, and posted to youtube a video showing all the 1940s-50s vacuum-tube cutters & tape machines Sam Philips used: Besides his Presto 6N & 1D, it shows his RCA (the c. 1949 one with the horizontal cutterhead) and an array of "On-Location" portables, including a Meissner - for anyone like me who likes seeing the Old Outdated Stuff: Can imagine him toting this stuff around while scouting out rockabilly talent:

Look in the COMMENTS part of the video page; I posted a comment as "that1940sguy" with a link to the part of the video with the equipment, at 3:14 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgGLv30na_Q

- Bob