wtb TK Audio TK-Lizer

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

tricks

wtb TK Audio TK-Lizer

Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:55 pm

...I wonder if it's the right section for this (first) post...

I'm thinking of getting a TK-Lizer from TK Audio to use it's M/S EQ function rather then turning the whole mix mono when too much spread below certain frequencies.
I wonder if someone here used this device already and can provide some info on the success (or not).
The only alternative on the market that I can see in the new and mint equipment section is ADT Toolmod, which for sure is really cool, but quite expensive.

Looking forward...

gold

Re: wtb TK Audio TK-Lizer

Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:43 pm

If your source is digital and you are cutting from a DAW you could use plug ins. The designer of the TK-Lizer is active on Group DIY. His DI box is very highly regarded. I wouldn't hesitate to buy something from him. I have a spare Neumann EE70 elliptical EQ card if you are interested.

tricks

Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:54 am

thx for the quick response...
Usually my playback comes from ProTools, where I prepare the audio for cutting. Works fine so far.
I have some friends, who don't want their dubplates and promos to be copied to another device like computer hdd recorder etc. (whatever the reason is)
For these occasions I have a CD player and a DAT, which I want to use the TK-Lizer on.
From what I've heared and seen in the product vidoe this device should work pretty good for that purpose. (record cutting announced in the specs)
Good to see TK got good reputation. I've never used one of his devices. My interest is growing.
If I get the option to have one on my desk, prior to buying one, I'll drop some feedback here.

Sadly I'm not in a Neumann environment. Otherwise I'd go for your EE70.

opcode66

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:53 am

All you need is a symetric 12v power supply same as what is used for eurorack or modular synth stuff. Then, you build the ee70 units into a rack. Buy a connector, make wiring, and connect to the back. That's it. A lot of studios have Neumann modules in their mastering chain. Even though they dont have a Neumann lathe.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

jjgolden

Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Hi Tricks,

I have the Tk-lizer. It's a great eq, well built, clean and solid. The Eliptical eq on the HPF in M/s mode is cool too.
It's really nice for some gentle mid side work, but with only 4db of cut and boost eq, you may find yourself needing something more versatile
on some cutting projects. (I use it for general audio mastering but not during a cut in real time.)

To please your clients who don't want you to record anything, can you run the CD or Dat through your protools rig in real time without recording? (CDR > PTools input >plugin >interface output > to the lathe)
The Brainworx BX Digital Mono Maker is really great for what your talking about. https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_digital_v2.html

Hope this helps some,
JJG

tricks

Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:04 am

wow... thanks for all the info. I really appreciate your advices!

Sounds pretty good. I already did the trick by routing the signal through ProTools, which worked fine. Only thing is that I have hardwired instruments and fx connected to my 192 I/O for composing and mixing. I'm routing the playback through my desks subgroup to the cutting preamp. ...as you can probably see, I'm a hardware enthusiast (even though I'm an Avid and Waves reseller) :)

I also like the idea of having the Neumann EE70 seated in an eurorack. I already have a NTP distribution amp rack, which should fit the Neumann, too.
I just couldn't find any info about adjustable parameters on that card. I wonder if there are some anyway, except jumper settings.

I'm still curious about the TK-Lizer. All I read in the net is good reputation for that device. And.... it's new. There's warranty on it etc.
I definitely enjoy soldering and measuring, but I don't always have the time.

My plan is to talk to our distributor and see if he can send me a NFR Demo unit. I'm not sure if they work with TK.
I tried that on ADT (Toolmod), but they're selfdistributors.

I just got to think it over again before spending the 2k.

handcut

Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:19 am

Hi,

If you're handy with a soldering iron, you could always build something. There's a nice Neumann W-492 clone on Group DIY that is a very simple build and easy to mod. Its balanced, has hi & low shelf plus two bell curve mids on each channel with +/-15dB boost/cut. I built a transformer-based M/S matrix into mine and it sounds great! Even with fancy resistors & Lundahl trannies the total build was less than 500gbp. I'm just about to open it up again to add a hard bypass...

tricks

Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:53 pm

...that sounds like a cool and senseful (side)project. :D I think it would cost me month to get it done, but it's definitely worth a try!

If in a DAW environment... do you think the airband is satisfying when working in projects below 96kHz? I usually add those frequencies using my analog outboard. Just curious...

tricks

Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:55 am

For those interested...sorting out the consumer level equipment on my vr t560, I'm now looking for a balanced riaa encoder. Signal is now processed via SPL M/S Master with Neumann W475 and Neumann W491 and optional Summit Audio TLA 50 connected to the Mid/Side Inserts. L+R uses a TL Audio 5013 parametric EQ (High frequency limiter is on ti's way). This setup works pretty good for me, not just only because I can dial into everything immediately. Only thing I'd like to get rid of is the last (riaa encoder) consumer device and the balancing amp, to run studio level only. Oh... and if someone's got a good advice for an amp, I'd appreciate that. Right now I'm using a Yamaha P4500, but thinking of buying a Bryston 4B (?). Thx

Sillitoe

Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:28 am

Hey Tricks, sounds like a cool setup.

RIAA by Wayne Kirkwood, looks great!
http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5915

Also real nice stuff from Joe Malone here http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/ (including amps).

Cheers
James

tricks

Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 am

Hey James,

thanks for the link. Kirkwood seems to build exactly what I need!
Think I'll give it a try. I'll keep you all posted on the progress here.

Thanks again!

drdub

Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:58 am

maybe the monofilter is what your looking for. we use the plugin for years now.
http://www.nugenaudio.com/monofilter-professional-bass-management-mastering-plugin-aax-au-vst_25
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

tricks

Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:45 am

yep... Great plugins for loudness, too. Just like brainworx and Waves (I've got quite a few bundles, due to I'm a reseller). Never used them for cutting, yet. Mainly because my setup doesn't use a computer at all. I'm all analog, except a DAT and a CD player. Still have a DAW for making music. Too many of them in my daytime job. :)