Wanted DMM Styli

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Simon

Wanted DMM Styli

Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:53 am

If you have any for sale or know any place I can purchase them or get them made.

Shout.

or PM me.

Thanks
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

TotalSonic

Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:09 pm

There was one former Neumann employee in Germany (unfortunately forget his name) who was sharpening these for Europadisk - think he was the only one left who really knew how to make these properly. He was getting up in years - hopefully he is handing down his art to someone else.

You might want to try and contact the studios still cutting DMM's for better leads - I have a list of these up at http://www.totalsonic.net/dmm.htm

Best regards,
Steve Berson

Simon

Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Ok I will try them.

Thanks
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

flozki

Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm

good luck!
a new dmm stylus is around 1200$ or even more....
this is nice expericence to break one.....

and it has this special fixing..so you can use only in a dmm head.
with a special titanium screw. which also is super fragile...

let us know if you found the source...

dietrich10

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:20 pm

call the Sciencetologists!
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Simon

Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:12 am

Flo

There is some old stock out there I am sure

From what I understand the styli is a diamond - simular to the vinyl recorder styli that I have seen.

I just wish someone would break the market open and supply the $100 diamond styli

The vestax styli was also diamond and $100

Amp Doc

Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:27 pm

The vestax used a saphire acording to its specs and lasted 20 hours
!Work or Bang Time!

mossboss

DMM

Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:54 am

If Total Sonic does not Know than it is off to the Scientologist's
Old stock? Yeah sure at around the $1000 each I am sure there would be shelves full of them gathering dust just waiting for you and me to pick them up
The last time I heard of the ex Neumann guy doing them he was charging the 1200 in Euros not dollars
He wanted to stop so the only inducement was the mighty dollar Euro etc
A real bargain? No But if you do not want the DMM with another type of head you just cough up
At around 200 hours or more it was still a reasonable if a little higher cost than Saphire at around 20 hours at $100 say $5 per hour as against $1200 for 200 hours at $6 per hour
Unless of course as Flo says break one which does happen
Cheers