Neumann cutting stylus

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rascon

Neumann cutting stylus

Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:18 pm

Dear all:
Can you help me in finding original NEUMANN 74KMH styli? I need urgently 25 pcs of it.
Certainly I know other types, Adamant, MicroPoint, Apollo and others but I need NEUMANNs!
Pse contact me at rascon1117(at)yahoo.de
Regards:
Rascon :shock:

Phinster

Re: Neumann cutting stylus

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:26 pm

At the moment, there are many of us who would like 25 Neumann styli...or even one or two. Good Luck!!

ROLANDJAYS

Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:55 pm

Have you tried oppcode ? He sells needles. Might be good option if your placing large orders.

opcode66

Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:01 pm

I appreciate the mention! Thanks!

I sell diamond styli. All diamonds have a slightly different tip shape than the standard sapphire. See my attached pictures. So, if they want a standard stylus, then I am unable to supply at the moment. My diamond guys won't do sapphire. And, it is very challenging to find sapphire grinders who can make a 4 micron burnishing facet. At this point, I would really need a partner/investor to make a go at making sapphires. It is entirely possible, however.

My diamonds are only for cutting polycarbonate or pvc. Not for lacquer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Maistrow

Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Does anyone know of a service that does resharpening of cutting styli?
I received a few of the Micro Point ruby styli along with the cutting system that I
Just purchased. Is the resharpening worth doing? Does anyone know if it works?
Perhaps some time ago, this topic was mentioned on this forum.
Thanks
Maistrow

analog_ears

Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:58 pm

Hello all,

I've been meaning to get on this forum for a while purely to find out if anyone has a need for some Neumann 74KMH Sapphire styli that I have laying around. By the looks of this thread I may have found the right place.

In going through my late father-in-law's boxes, I came across 9 pcs new styli of the aforementioned model. He was a cutting/mastering engineer in the 70's, and these were in a box of some important masters/etc that he had put aside. Have a look at the pic and do comment whether these may be of interest to any of you. I will most likely just ebay these if nobody here has a need for them.

Happy to try to answer any questions you may have.

-Toni
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Phinster

Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:03 am

Would be very interested in these Neumann styli you have...how much do you want for them? Cheers!

jjgolden

Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:34 pm

Me Too,
Please pm me if you still have any availible.

Thanks!
JJ Golden
jj@goldenmasteringdotcom

analog_ears

Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:13 am

Hello all,

First of all, my apologies for being so slow to respond to your messages. I'm glad there's some interest in the styli, and obviously I wish I had a huge box full of them to get all of you sorted out. Many of you have asked about the price, and I'm sorry to not have had that answer on hand. I haven't known enough about these products to have known the going rate, but my gut feeling has been to not just give them away.

The same day that I posted on the Lathe Trolls forum, I also contacted a local company whom I was hoping could consult me on the matter. I have now managed to arrange to meet with their engineer – an elderly gentleman who knows the biz and everything about the gear – on Thursday Nov. 23rd. He will be examining the styli to confirm the make/model/condition. I wanted to arrange for this confirmation before I actually went ahead selling any of them to anyone. I don't want the ensuing hassle of misselling some crap, and I imagine you would feel the same way.

I certainly hope it doesn't put you off, but I have decided to proceed with a blind bid of sorts. Please notify me via private message here on Lathe Trolls by Wednesday, Nov. 22, 2014 9:00pm GMT the quantity of styli you would like and your bid (in GBP) per piece.

Should I get an offer from the examining company, I will entertain their offer first and foremost – regardless of the amount offered. They have expressed an interest, they are investing time and man power to check the styli, and it would obviously be the simplest solution for me. If they do not make an offer or if I choose to decline it, I will, in that case, sell these starting with the highest bidder here. Bids will be ranked according to price – not quantity. So, if the highest bidder only wants one piece, they will get that, and I will move on to the second highest price and sell the requested quantity to that bidder. And so on, until there are no styli left. Please note, this means that unless you are the highest bidder, you may not get the desired quantity of styli. As mentioned before, I have a total of 9 (nine) styli of the same make/model/condition on offer.

Upon examination next Thursday, should the styli be found to not fit the description "Neumann Cutting Stylus 74KMH Sapphire, new & unused, fully functional and fit for purpose" I will obviously cancel the sale and see what the next course of action might be. Also note that in this case "new" most likely means mid to late 70's manufacturing date. :D

I am based in the UK, so you will have to consider all shipping/insurance/import tax & duty as an extra expense on top of your bid. I will not be liable for these. I am very happy to take into account your wishes regarding the method of shipping to make it as cheap as possible for you and secure as possible for both of us. Local collection from London is also possible. I'd prefer payment via Paypal. Cash and bank transfer are also fine, but I would have to confirm the monies are in the account before parting with the product. I will endeavour to ship within 2 working days once funds are in and shipping method has your stamp of approval.

I hope this all sounds reasonable, clear and honest. If it helps to know, I've sold a bit of stuff over the years on ebay, and have excellent feedback there (id: analog_ears_1). I'm happy to answer any questions or chat over the phone if you'd like – just request my number via PM.

Apologies for the long rant, and good luck to all.

Best Regards,

Toni Partti

drdub

Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:13 am

so this is trollbay now ? :mrgreen:
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

opcode66

Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:29 pm

Wow. Well, if you think you've found a goldmine, think again. At most you could only get what market value is for these. Maybe slightly above. Which is $95 per stylus. So, please be reasonable....
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

studiorp

Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:27 am

:D Trollbay, new alternative to Ebay...

analog_ears

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:42 am

Trollbay, eh? :mrgreen: I know, guys. Sorry if you feel like I've come and hijacked your safe haven for purposes of making a quick buck. I fully understand. :| It seemed like a good idea at the time to bring a product like this right to the core of those whom are most likely to appreciate it in this day and age. I'll get what I get for them. It may even be a big fat zero if I have a dud on my hands. I figured no minimum bid, no reserve and no extortionate buy it now price would provide for a reasonably nice opportunity for all. Anyway, thanks for the interest already shown.

studiorp

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:16 am

it was just a way of saying...

drdub

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:28 am

analog_ears wrote:Trollbay, eh? :mrgreen: I know, guys. Sorry if you feel like I've come and hijacked your safe haven...
dont be offended, an do whatever you feel like, no problem, really. :D
i personally just like to see prices in forii like this.
for auctions (which er legit too) maybe other channels are more suitable.
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

analog_ears

Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:56 pm

All good here – no offense taken.

opcode66

Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:27 pm

Sorry if my post sounded a bit shitty. A number of folks have been trying to sell anything related to record cutting for the equivalent of a small fortune. Regardless of the actual value of the item. Cutting gear is a big seller these days. We are all actually very thrilled that you are going about this the way you are. I just wanted you to have realistic expectations with respect to cutting styli which are still manufactured, unlike a lot of cutting gear.

analog_ears

Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:24 am

No worries, opcode66!

andybee

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 am

I would be careful, buying these, I suggest to test one before buying them!
As far as I know, a "girl" from poland also offerd styluses?
:)

analog_ears

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:35 am

Ok, one more post, but after this I think I'll just stick to answering questions, if there are any. Here's a link to a youtube video that I just made. Do have a look for an introduction to yours truly and for some footage of the styli.

Toward the end I say something while accidentally having my finger over the mic. I believe what I said was that I'm happy to discuss with the winner(s) about even receiving payment & sending these one by one if that would help with the trust issue. Thanks again for putting up with this Trollbaying. :wink: