Neumann VMS Half Nuts for Sale!

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

gold

Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:58 pm

The only difference between half nuts on all the Neumann lathes I've seen is round or rectangular. Both work on all models assuming there is the same sleeve type. I have seen both types of half nut on different models. I think the rectangular ones are the earlier version. My guess is that at some point Neumann offered an "upgrade" to the round ones.

opcode66

Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:16 pm

That seems to be what everyone has told me so far. Rectangular = Old. Round = New. AM32b is the same as 60's model is the same as 70's model. Only changes in the 80's.

To me it seems that they just simplified things. The square is nice if you never have to change it out. But, when people had to start changing them out they realized that it was easier to forgo the rectangular sleeve and make a round version that goes in the hole the sleave fits into.

I think that everyone could use the round version by simply removing the rectangular metal sleeve.

Round ones are in the works... It won't take as long for an initial protoype since the thread are exactly the same. That was a lot of work to get right.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

opcode66

Wed May 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Round halfnuts are being duplicated now. I should have them within the next two months. A huge thank you to the man who loaned me a round halfnut! You know who you are...

This next set of clones will represent enough copies to bring my price per copy down from my supplier. I will be able to offer a reduced price on either square or round halfnuts.

More details to follow. I will always have stock of these. And, as far as I know, I'm the only person in the world with more than a couple... :wink:
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

drdub

halfnut landed

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:18 am

halfnut landed savely in the alps.

I hope we get the time to fiddle with it over christmas.

thanks todd for the easy and pleasant transaction.

cheers mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

opcode66

Re: Neumann VMS Half Nuts for Sale!

Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:06 pm

A fresh lot of Square Half nuts will arrive next week. I have been out of square half nuts for a couple of months. But, we will be fully stocked now. I've had enough made this time that I don't expect to sell out for years to come.

So, next week, I will literally have dozens of Square and Round!

Is your halfnut slipping? Getting grooves that run together for no reason? Contact you Lathe Tech and ask them to order a replacement for installation. We will give a Christmas discount. 20% off through the end of the 2013.

opcode66

Re: Neumann VMS Half Nuts for Sale!

Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:30 pm

Many cutters have been unable to determine what style of halfnut their system uses. Therefore, I’ve devised a simple and effective way to determine what kind of halfnut you have.

1. Take a napkin or thin tissue paper and cut a strip just wider than the leadscrew. About two inches long.
2. Move the carriage lever to the up position.
3. Move the carriage to about half way.
4. Insert the paper under the halfnut. Between the halfnut and the leadscrew.
5. Engage the carriage lever.
6. Manually turn the leadscrew via the fly wheel a couple rotations.
7. Move the carriage lever to the up position.
8. Remove the paper.
9. Inspect the paper under bright light.
10. You will see the threads. Inspect the edges of the threads. They will form a rounded or squared shape.
11. Use a clean microfiber rag to clean your leadscrew in case any paper fibers were deposited on it (overkill but why not).