Caruso Prototype

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

andybee

Sun May 15, 2011 9:56 am

so, I was there at flo´s lab on saturday, flo was very busy with
a very interesting cutting projekt. (more art)
He told me, if his workshop is ready, he can proceed with the head.
feedback system is not finished now, but I think, the head has some
really nice improvements, compared to the existing ones (not so much glue, more screws, better cooling etc.)
Flo did a nice job, and when he is finished (hopefully very soon),
a nice head will be the result!
I also was at andre´s lab, and he also has build a head (whooo !!
:D ), Andre´s concept was more a clone of the SX-74 with stronger magnets, and also less glue inside.... you need only the half of power
as for the SX-74. but for the strong magnets, you need a lathe with
most unmagnetic parts at the area of the cutting head, but that´s
another story....
it looked like a bit of a challenge, but with different backrounds...
So, the cutting future looks good! :)
:D

cymbalism

Sun May 15, 2011 11:26 pm

C'mon stereo!! :)
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

blacknwhite

Sun May 15, 2011 11:47 pm

TotalSonic wrote:From my understanding based on what Flo said previously is he will be including with the head a PCB for the pre-amp along with schematics/parts list so that you could build the front end IRIAA encoder/feedback controller in your own chassis.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
[edit]

Yes, what Steve B. said... (I had just posted the same message before I saw yours)

- Bob

piaptk

Mon May 16, 2011 9:42 am

Guess it's a good thing I bought an electronics book. I'm only part way through it, but it's less and less that I think "what the hell are these guys talking about?" on here. But for the electronics heavy lifting, I will probably defer to someone more skilled to build a preamp.

GrobbingThistle

Mon May 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Honestly, if he's supplying a clearly marked PCB and a parts list, all you'll really have to have is mastery of is through-hole soldering and reading resistor codes (unless it's surface mount :shock: ). Hell, when it comes to resistor codes, there's even "an app for that." Coming from a synth DIY background I think I can say that most people assume putting together a DIY circuit is much more difficult than it really is. Assuming you put it together right the first time and no de-bugging is required, you hardly need any understanding of electronics at all.

JuanPabloCuervo

Mon May 16, 2011 11:59 pm

i want a Westrex 3D !!!
also an Ortofon 821 !!!

opcode66

Tue May 17, 2011 12:46 pm

For those in the US you there is likely a Radioshack close by. Otheriwse you can order from them online. They have a fantastic electronics learning lab. It is a breadboard with integrated components like speaker, photosensor, potentiometers, leds with resistors, a meter, etc. It comes with two books. A basic electronics book that teaches fundamentals through simple to build circuits. It comes with all the wiring, resitors, caps, and other vairous components that you need to build everything in the books. It also comes with a book and chips that teach digital fundamentals. Can't recommend these enough. I have four of them because they are a great way to mock up a circuit. Uses 6 AA batteries. Generates various voltages to certain pins on the breadboard. This means it even has it's own variable power supply.

Image Image

They also sell little handbooks like these:

Image Image

I've used the Op Amp one soooo many times to find schematics for basic circuitry to cobble together is more complicated devices. All of this stuff is written by Forrest M. Mims III. I think he is a great teacher of electronics.

At any Home Deport you can find the Ugly's Electrical Reference which is extremely handy. Every sort of conversion and equation is in there. Along with many other helpful tidbits.

I highly suggest ordering some components from Digi-Key.com. They will send you a massive catalog once per year.

It is helpful to see what components are available. There are things in there I didn't even know existed....

They will also send you one of these every few months that highlight new products.

Hope this helps anyone looking to learn more about electronics.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

dubcutter89

Tue May 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Oh yeah,
I think this is the kit that Ivo, Flo and Andre are using for research & devolpment...
When you have this you can make everything on your own...
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx