Vinyl Recorder flutter issue

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Ben

Vinyl Recorder flutter issue

Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:46 am

Hey Guys,

I read almost all the post regarding the torque issue with the SL1200 and the VR from Souri...especially the post from Todd and the need of an external motor to have the necessary torque.

My problem is, the flutter is so intense that I can't even do a decent one....the recording makes me sea sick....lol. I know there's suppose to be flutter and wow when you don't have the mastering plate and motor.....but this is way more than when I was at the training in Germany with him.
I adjusted the weight so many times trying to figure out if it was the issue.... even at 10gram it's still doing this and on a used stylus I'm suppose to go for 20...until there's not enough weight and it sounds like crap and groove disapear.

Is it possible that the stylus if it's almost blunt that it causes that?? I tried with 2 different sl1200 and same thing..... even with a super OEM Pioneer PLX-1000 and it was even worst!
Can you help me trouble shoot that please.
Thanks guys
Ben

SUNBEARS

Re: Vinyl Recorder flutter issue

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:58 pm

I would check your back angle, which will change depending on your cutterhead height when you drop in. Souri Recommends a 90degree angle from the surface. His website is super helpful for stuff like this.

http://www.vinylrecorder.com/angle.html

However, the cutterhead has a default back angle of about 10 degrees.

See if that helps at all. I had no issues when cutting rock albums, but I cut an acoustic album with strings and it was more noticeable that I liked. I sprang for the platter and motor. - It is a better / less expensive solution than waiting to find an SP-10mk3.. I say, if he'll let you get your hands on it yet, go for it! - He's the master. - My set up is great now.

Cheers,
J
Berlin is a Mastering Engineer and Multidisciplinary Artist based at The Loft Studio, Los Angeles, CA

Ben

Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:35 am

Hey J,
Thanks for your amazing tips,
I will try that today... I see I have a more or less than 10 degrees angle on it... but I will check carefully everything and post back my results!

Thanks for helping me out, if anything comes to your mind that could be the source of the problem... please let me know, I'm always connected to the forum.

thanks
Ben

ps: I don't wanna mess anything up..... which screw I need to turn to adjust the angle of the stylus?? The 2 litte ones on top of the cutter head ??

The Shank

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:07 am

Ben wrote:Hey J,
Thanks for your amazing tips,
I will try that today... I see I have a more or less than 10 degrees angle on it... but I will check carefully everything and post back my results!

Thanks for helping me out, if anything comes to your mind that could be the source of the problem... please let me know, I'm always connected to the forum.

thanks
Ben

ps: I don't wanna mess anything up..... which screw I need to turn to adjust the angle of the stylus?? The 2 litte ones on top of the cutter head ??
Ben,

Ne touche surtout pas à ces 2 vis, tu vas détacher les aimants de la tête...

La vis a desserer est celle qui est à l'horizontal à gauche de la tete. Une fois desserrée, tu pourras bouger la tête de bas en haut et c'est la que tu pourras ajuster l'inclinaison.
Quand on parle d'inclinaison de stylus, on parle d'inclinaison de la tête ;)

A+
http://www.myshank.com

* Diamond cutting stylus officials/prototypes
* Resharpening services
* Blank records
* Cutting lathe

Ben

Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:13 am

Merci beaucoup pour ton information,

Si il y a une chose que j'ai retenue du cours avec Souri, ne touche rien avant d'être vraiment certain de ce que tu fais...lolol
Merci pour le guide aussi j'ai vais faire les ajustements que tu m'as envoyés... c'est vraiment super apprécié !!

Merci beaucoup
Sans votre support je serais vraiment confus....!!
Ben

Ben

Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:59 pm

Hey Guys
I've readjust the cutterhead for the stylus to be more 90 degrees ...not completely because the stylus itself already have a little angle.
It's already way better....on the outer edge it's still a little too wobbly to produce records....but I definitely feel we're going somewhere..

MyShank, amazing and generous guy gave me a guide to setup the machine more precisely and I feel it's getting there one step at the time....thanks also to SUNBEARS for his great help for calibration

When you adjust the cutterhead angle....you can also adjust the height of it... is it also a determinant factor as well?

Take care guys
Ben