my lathe mockup (idea)

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

recordboy

my lathe mockup (idea)

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:09 am

Hello All,

At the beginning ov the month I found a 1941 recordio jr.

At first I didn't realize how small it would be, because there doesn't seem to be much info out there on these.

I did find an ad for it were they are showning it compared to the much large furniture style home recorders, so I thought it was just WG's first portable model.
Prehaps yes idk yet it is much smaller than a recordette. It's platter is 8"
file-4.jpg
I've decided to do heavy modification to it & using it as a base for a suspention & mono head build (maybe stereo down the line).

Here is my mockup upon my idea as thus far.
0128160421-1.jpg
I've been doing some research on Mono heads and suspension. Yet if anyone who can suggest what might be the best Direction/design, or simplest, that would be fantastic.

Cheers & thnx in advance,

recordboy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
recordboy

rsimms3

Re: my lathe mockup (idea)

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:20 am

I think your first goal is to decide on how you are going to move the cutting head to do actual cuts. You can't use the record player tone arm so what is you plan? Overhead mechanism with a feedscrew controlled by a DC motor or something with variable speed? AC motor with a pulley/idler system? Suspension and head design/mounting will be secondary/integral to this decision.

Gridlock

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:51 am

Naw man this idea totally works because Wilcox gey had their feed screw ducks in a row. I like this idea a lot and want to do it to my recordette. I really won't be much help but it looks like one where you pull the butt up to engage? This will work
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

rsimms3

Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:15 am

I see, this looked like a playback only unit based on the arm in the picture. Looks like an interesting project.

recordboy

Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:50 pm

XD hi guys
yeah i remember looking for lathes as a kid at yard sales etc. & passing 1 or 2 WG machines because they look so plain (not like a cutter at all).

Yeah you pull the ass end up & it clicks to engage.
0128162054.jpg
I'm using this rare model simply (not going to destroy any bit ov it mind you) because i scored if for 30$ & it has no head. I've been wanting to build a head for some time (mono) so this will be my base. also suspension for it. going to build a COMPLETELY new chassis for it & change the manner in which is driven. the idler wheel on these is under the deck & i want to drive the outer rim instead.

Trying to deside what course/Design to model after/take from etc. [the head design] I'm thinking to try for starts to use this LARGE old playback head in reverse &modding it. It has a good magnet so i feel something too start from.

also looks good XD

This will be a junior sized lathe [a bit bigger than dictation machines].

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,
recordboy

Gridlock

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:21 am

My recordette plays and cuts at 69 rpm. I'm probably one of the only people in the universe ever to play back the butthole surfers' brown reason to live at proper speed thru a tube driven amp
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

mischmerz

Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 am

Been there - tried it. Took a Recordio with a dead head, cut the recording arm and mounted a Presto. Worked ok.

Michaela
oldc_kannweg.jpg

recordboy

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:10 am

XD gridlock that's wonderful.
was it just haps about 69?

Michaela that looks pretty good, with counter weight etc.

If i could find a good head for 50$ or under i might slap it on. yet am very poor only about 1000$ per mo & raise a child on my own. thus i start small, gatheting bits.
I'm more after making my own head though.
There will be no butchery ov the unit i could never bring myself to do such a thing. I'm a complete freak btw.
Rather parts will be cannibalised such as MOSTLY
the small 8" platter & drive system as my base. (Cause I'm lazy & poor, thus starting from here just seems easier to me) as the haps are in my favor, i just so happen to adore smaller things. and this fits perfect in my line order ov ongoing projects. this is the one I'm sharing first though.

looking for suggestion on head design mostly.
What design bits ov different heads are the better or simplest, works better compared to X, etc.

I might have [in hindsight] made my subject title that rather.

anyways all input and sharing is WONDERFUL. & even the most common or off/outlandish comments can spark a grandiose idea...
So bring it on.

Cheers all :)
Cheers,
recordboy

sakuszi

Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:48 am

Hello ! I think that there should be no problem with recording. I wonder just drive turntable that will be relatively quiet, little noise. Recording quality depends entirely on the dynamic transducer, the cutting head. Other elements such as graphic equalizer, amplifier is a very low-cost devices are available everywhere for little money can make such a system. But most important is the cutting head, pressuring, I found out about this in person after 2 months of experiments. You can head to hold in their hands and record [record are a little stupid, but recording, the recording will be]. Already burned a lot of speakers in the head, it is easy to achieve a good sound, you need a little combined with the power signal. Each speaker works differently, using other speakers deforms the order of the power head. Good luck !

recordboy

Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:14 am

Sauszi thank you.
I understand a bit for sure.
You mention drive, which is another on my list queries. is direct to platter better than zdrive to wheel to platter or belt drive etc.
these machines have a wheel under the deck & i want to drive it from outside and use resin poured in to fill platter to add weight.
so i am looking into the drive aspect too.
I'm kinda trying to build a toy/mini pro [looking] "cutter". I emboss already. I. want to CUT!!!!! XD

Decent sounding mono cut records.
on a rediculiously low bugget
Most might say impossible yet this is my goal.

cheers

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FIlBqZ0fksM
Cheers,
recordboy

sakuszi

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:44 am

the head is not that hard to do, enough cheap speakers positioned at an angle of 90 degrees, but it is difficult to achieve high frequencies above 8 -10 kHz, will be severely hot and finally burn the coil, and the new job .... I checked the drive roller, it is quite noisy, even drive by the bar is loud in my recorder had engine unscrew from the base plate, attached the engine to the wall, and record platter on a rack, then everything calmed down, it's much quieter, but still strap some tugging and hear the drive motor. I also tried the direct drive motor sony engine was also very heard, and was too weak to turn the turntable plate during pressing. Must be good insulation between the engine and the plate, otherwise everything is stored on the disc, then it looks very miserable record

recordboy

Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:44 am

Sauszi :) thank you friend.

I like the simple idea ov the speaker yet I wish to move iron. Do to size & to get down to nitty gritty. :) i may fail yet shal try :)

The drive yes. been talking to some wonderful people about this & think as i first did yet thought it maybe more complex (have to TOTALLY re think) that belt it best. yet still i have questions, because i want to try and keep things small. this is part my mission mostly. i made a picture to help ask.
drives.png
cheers
Cheers,
recordboy

sakuszi

Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:19 am

Hello, auctions, you can buy a cheap stepper motor with an output of 0.4 N / m, the engine power audio amplifier can be used with power up to 25 W amplifier line input, apply a sine wave generator, it will be good if you have a native resolution generator to 0 1 Hz, the motor will run as synchronous, because he needs a ramp to his close synchronization [snaps in sync], you have to turn the turntable presto. As the strip may be of the washing machine to the laundry. Be careful with the power of the engine about 0.3 And no more for 0.4 N / m. for now