Professional vinyl record lathe step by step

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

diy_cutter

Re: Professional vinyl record lathe step by step

Tue May 14, 2024 5:29 pm

zdenek wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 11:46 am
You can only scratch a diamond with a diamond.
Why do you write obvious things? Even schoolchildren know this.
zdenek wrote:
Did I say that I bought zircons from you instead of diamonds and that you blame me?
I said in general that knives called diamond are not, that's all, and I won't buy them again.
I don't need what I'm selling anymore and it costs $1,800 plus shipping.
I do not sell diamonds or zirconium. I just pointed out your lies and attempts to deceive local users by selling supposedly useful things (the essence of which you cannot explain). But before that, you supposedly argue that you are developing something and suddenly selling “what you don’t need.” Do you think others are fools when you post photos of “pneumatic cylinders”?

Such individuals have already been here. Are you one of them?

zdenek

Tue May 14, 2024 10:49 pm

diy_cutter wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 5:29 pm
zdenek wrote:
You can only scratch a diamond with a diamond.
Why do you write obvious things? Even schoolchildren know this.
zdenek wrote:
Did I say that I bought zircons from you instead of diamonds and that you blame me?
I said in general that knives called diamond are not, that's all, and I won't buy them again.
I don't need what I'm selling anymore and it costs $1,800 plus shipping.
I do not sell diamonds or zirconium. I just pointed out your lies and attempts to deceive local users by selling supposedly useful things (the essence of which you cannot explain). But before that, you supposedly argue that you are developing something and suddenly selling “what you don’t need.” Do you think others are fools when you post photos of “pneumatic cylinders”?

Such individuals have already been here. Are you one of them?
I didn't know until recently that diamonds can only be cut with a diamond. I found out only when I bought cubic zirconia pretending to be diamonds instead of diamond blades.
I don't know what the housing of this bearing block is made of, which was custom-made for me, but I know that it works great and is as described in the description I posted.
I already promised one troll that I would make a video of it sucking air through the shaft, but I don't have time at the moment, maybe next Saturday I will show you that it is a super accurate block with a rotating shaft for the vacuum plate.

diy_cutter

Wed May 15, 2024 4:02 am

Great. And I take my words back.

zdenek

Sun May 19, 2024 12:55 am

diy_cutter wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 4:02 am
Great. And I take my words back.
I warned the trolls about the scam. I don't know why you got so upset. I know you're trying to glaze diamonds, but the way you chose is a complete aberration, it's just not how it's done.
Although I am not an expert on this topic, but a layman, even a layman will quickly notice that diamonds are not polished this way. There are videos on You Tube and you can see the grinders in them. I told you that I work with engineers who know this.
Maybe it's funny for someone to cut a zircon or a quartz stone and it's very easy and then sell it to a potential buyer claiming that the knife is made of diamond and charge several hundred dollars for the fake item..
Unfortunately for me it's not funny or funny.
My goal is to achieve excellent recording results in electroplated copper, that's all, so we needed a diamond cutter, not a trash,buble....

zdenek

Sun May 19, 2024 9:03 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI1reNxF0Zg
A base for a recording lathe machine so that the head does not record vibrations from the ground. What should it be like?

diy_cutter

Fri May 24, 2024 9:46 am

zdenek wrote:
Sat May 18, 2024 12:05 pm
video vacum platter https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDGc_fw5VU
Your video is private and not viewable.

diy_cutter

Fri May 24, 2024 3:14 pm

zdenek wrote:
I warned the trolls about the scam.
Did you warn them about yourself?
zdenek wrote:
I know you're trying to glaze diamonds, but the way you chose is a complete aberration, it's just not how it's done.
Although I am not an expert on this topic, but a layman, even a layman will quickly notice that diamonds are not polished this way. Maybe it's funny for someone to cut a zircon or a quartz stone and it's very easy and then sell it to a potential buyer claiming that the knife is made of diamond and charge several hundred dollars for the fake item..
I do not cut or polish diamonds with the stones I wrote about a year ago. These stones were for rubies, sapphires and tungsten metal cutters. They are more suitable for shaping. Diamonds are cut with special sintered diamond discs and polished on a faceplate using diamond powder or paste. Moreover, for fine work, mechanical microfeed is used. I personally polish diamonds and know that it is hard, long and precise work (with all due respect to MyShank, Souri and everyone who creates and polishes diamond cutters). Achieving excellent quality is very difficult.
zdenek wrote:
I don't know why you got so upset.
I'm not upset at all. I just want to draw the attention of forum users that you are a potential scammer and write all sorts of nonsense. But if I'm wrong, refute my words, please.

P.S.: Can you tell us where you bought the “fake” pseudo-diamond cutters? Publish photos of these cutters, websites or contacts of the sellers who deceived you. Protect others from making dangerous purchases.

farmersplow

Fri May 24, 2024 3:46 pm

So many posts with so little content - that's quite remarkable.

zdenek

Sat May 25, 2024 12:38 am

I'm away from home on a business trip and I can't influence it because I don't have time.
Please wait, I'll come home and I'll share the recordings.
There is a lot of content in my posts, but you have to read it.
Please don't call me a fraud because I have never cheated anyone in my life.
Sometimes it's better to remain silent than to speak nonsense.
I repeat once again, I will not be fooled by fake diamonds again.
Regards .

zdenek

Tue May 28, 2024 3:57 pm

farmersplow wrote:
I won't argue with you, but I have to tell you this.
I tested these Chinese vibrators at half speed and reached a fairly even level at 3kHz, which gave about 6kHz at a specific speed of 33.33 rpm.
I had to completely change the correction at half speed, I had unwanted frequency amplifications that I had to correct on an ongoing basis.
Half speed is a complicated writing process.
As feedback, I used an Ortofon phono cartridge, which gave a signal of about 5 mV at 1 kHz.
After mixing the inverted phase FB signal with the inverted RIAA input signal, I had to drive the 200W amplifier to full output power to get close to the 0dB level and 1kHz recording frequency.
There was a signal shot and the head on the vibrator transducers woke up, the amplifier fed several amperes to the coils of this transducer until the winding wire exploded and a smell was created from the burnt insulation, as a result the amplifier burned down but the 1A fuse did not have time to burn.
What can you tell me about this, Tomas?
Without electronic protection, the actuation of the transducers itself will result in the entire work of closing the feedback loop being wasted and the head having to be repaired.
I think that more than one person who had expensive factory heads with feedback and did not know about their delicate nature was very disappointed. :)

zdenek

Tue May 28, 2024 4:31 pm

here is a photo of the drive coil of a professional head, it is very easy to burn it... :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Tue May 28, 2024 6:09 pm

zdenek wrote:
farmersplow wrote:
I won't argue with you, but I have to tell you this.
I tested these Chinese vibrators at half speed and reached a fairly even level at 3kHz, which gave about 6kHz at a specific speed of 33.33 rpm.
I had to completely change the correction at half speed, I had unwanted frequency amplifications that I had to correct on an ongoing basis.
Half speed is a complicated writing process.
As feedback, I used an Ortofon phono cartridge, which gave a signal of about 5 mV at 1 kHz.
After mixing the inverted phase FB signal with the inverted RIAA input signal, I had to drive the 200W amplifier to full output power to get close to the 0dB level and 1kHz recording frequency.
There was a signal shot and the head on the vibrator transducers woke up, the amplifier fed several amperes to the coils of this transducer until the winding wire exploded and a smell was created from the burnt insulation, as a result the amplifier burned down but the 1A fuse did not have time to burn.
What can you tell me about this, Tomas?
Without electronic protection, the actuation of the transducers itself will result in the entire work of closing the feedback loop being wasted and the head having to be repaired.
I think that more than one person who had expensive factory heads with feedback and did not know about their delicate nature was very disappointed. :)
I certainly don't want to argue either. Your posts describe things in such a way that no connections are recognisable. For example here: Why did you cut at half speed when it doesn't even work at normal speed? At half-speed you need a completely separate IRIAA curve - it can't work that way. And if you have changed the IRIAA curve, why don't you describe how? What do you mean by ‘I had to completely change the correction at half speed’? What did you have to change?
How did you use the Chinese vibrators? What was the weight of your moving parts? Did you use cones or the original flat plate? What does it look like?
You write that you use Ortofon pickup cartridges as feedback. How is that supposed to work? Did you glue the cartridge in place and glue the stylus to the torsion bar? Does your head have a torsion bar? Without this information, the statement about 5mV at 1kHz is useless. Much more important would be some content about the mounting of the cartridge or the cutting head assembly. You describe that you mixed the FB signal with the input signal and then could barely reach the 0dB level. However, there is no indication of what you mixed with, which FB amplifier you are using or anything else. What influence does your channel separation (or left/right overlay) have on the Ortofon cartridge? What do you mean by ‘there was a signal shock’? How did this occur? Why are you using a 1A fuse? I use a 0.5A fuse for these speakers, for example, and I've never blown a coil like this. Not even with white noise with IRIAA and feedback closed circuit. Sometimes the fuse blows during adjustment work and feedback, but the coil remains intact. Nevertheless, 0dB (5cm/sec. rms) at 1kHz is no problem with a 0.5A fuse.
Perhaps you have used the polarity incorrectly, but I can't know that because you are not displaying anything with content.

farmersplow

Tue May 28, 2024 6:36 pm

zdenek wrote:
here is a photo of the drive coil of a professional head, it is very easy to burn it... :)
A drive coil from a professional head will last for many years if handled professionally and is not easy to destroy. If handled incorrectly, any coil will burn out easily. Whether a professional head for $10k or $5 from the DIY store. Perhaps the DIY store coil will last even longer?
A little additional information on coil burnout. Overheating is to blame for the burnout. Overheating can be caused by excessive current flow. The duration of how long the current is present is important. It is also important how well the coil can dissipate the heat again. The air gap also plays a role here. High-precision coils have a very small air gap. This is important for precision. A smaller air gap can also transfer more power (better conversion of the current flowing through into movement, which means that less current is required for the same result). But a smaller air gap is bad for heat dissipation. Under continuous load, this coil overheats more easily than a coil with a larger air gap. Coils with a larger air gap require a more powerful amplifier (which is easy to solve) and are not as precise. Conclusion: The higher the coil heating, the more likely it is to burn out. This can only be prevented by reducing the current or improving the waste heat. (Neumann used helium cooling to reduce the coil temperature). That's why I opted for the Chinese resonance speakers. They are probably not as precise as some other speakers, but the large coil diameter and the relatively large air area around the coil reduce overheating enormously, which in turn means that the coils can be subjected to higher loads without burning out.

zdenek

Tue May 28, 2024 11:13 pm

farmersplow wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 6:36 pm
zdenek wrote:
A drive coil from a professional head will last for many years if handled professionally and is not easy to destroy. If handled incorrectly, any coil will burn out easily. Whether a professional head for $10k or $5 from the DIY store. Perhaps the DIY store coil will last even longer?
A little additional information on coil burnout. Overheating is to blame for the burnout. Overheating can be caused by excessive current flow. The duration of how long the current is present is important. It is also important how well the coil can dissipate the heat again. The air gap also plays a role here. High-precision coils have a very small air gap. This is important for precision. A smaller air gap can also transfer more power (better conversion of the current flowing through into movement, which means that less current is required for the same result). But a smaller air gap is bad for heat dissipation. Under continuous load, this coil overheats more easily than a coil with a larger air gap. Coils with a larger air gap require a more powerful amplifier (which is easy to solve) and are not as precise. Conclusion: The higher the coil heating, the more likely it is to burn out. This can only be prevented by reducing the current or improving the waste heat. (Neumann used helium cooling to reduce the coil temperature). That's why I opted for the Chinese resonance speakers. They are probably not as precise as some other speakers, but the large coil diameter and the relatively large air area around the coil reduce overheating enormously, which in turn means that the coils can be subjected to higher loads without burning out.
Tomas, I tell you again.
Strong feedback causes very strong balancing of the cutting head, regardless of the type of drive transducers, believe me.
If you close the negative feedback loop, resonance of the entire cutting head drive system occurs.
Something happens when, in a sports hall, the microphone couples with the amplifier, causing the signals to be exchanged in real time [then sound engineers use cutoff gates]
Regarding FB amplifiers, it is a very simple matter - it is important that the amplifier sends the appropriate amount of signal to the reverse-phase mixing system, other than the actual signal as a signal to be fed to the head drive coils after amplification, and all the elements shown in the diagram are not necessary, which you posted.

zdenek

Tue May 28, 2024 11:26 pm

All this has already been done by other people and the results are poor, but they are better than no feedback at all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

farmersplow

Wed May 29, 2024 8:24 am

You wrote:
zdenek wrote:

After mixing the inverted phase FB signal with the inverted RIAA input signal, I had to drive the 200W amplifier to full output power to get close to the 0dB level and 1kHz recording frequency...
I asked if you could show a picture of YOUR cutting head with Ortofon phono cartridges with which you had these experiences so that I could understand what you were doing. Instead you show already known pictures of others.
I now suspect that you have not yet built a cutting head and are theorising. That's not a bad thing in principle. But then please don't talk about experience.
If I'm wrong, I'll take it all back and will withdraw my mistrust.
Thomas

zdenek

Wed May 29, 2024 10:04 am

farmersplow wrote:
Wed May 29, 2024 8:24 am
You wrote:
zdenek wrote:

After mixing the inverted phase FB signal with the inverted RIAA input signal, I had to drive the 200W amplifier to full output power to get close to the 0dB level and 1kHz recording frequency...
I asked if you could show a picture of YOUR cutting head with Ortofon phono cartridges with which you had these experiences so that I could understand what you were doing. Instead you show already known pictures of others.
I now suspect that you have not yet built a cutting head and are theorising. That's not a bad thing in principle. But then please don't talk about experience.
If I'm wrong, I'll take it all back and will withdraw my mistrust.
Thomas
It was a quick prototype, experimental version made in 3 hours, which definitely defeated the Chinese 20W vibrators and these vibrators were irreversibly consigned to the dustbin of history.
Despite the crude design of this head and glue, this construction contributed to the creation of a professional head, I will show it soon.
This funny head [can you call it that?] really flies far and deep with frequencies,
Look at the dimensions of the torque tube, diamond, additional springs made of elastic aluminum sheet [0.06 mm], the weight of the entire drive of the left and right channels does not exceed 0.2 grams, so understand what is going on... :)

zdenek

Wed May 29, 2024 10:18 am

one can only add to this thread that this primitive experimental head is smaller than one Chinese 20W 4Ohm transducer, and it outperforms these Chinese transducers by 10 orders of speed and acceleration... that's just so much magic... and so much that understand what is going on...

farmersplow

Wed May 29, 2024 11:05 am

I am speechless! First concrete picture. The V-spring and above all the cutting stylus are still missing to determine the actual frequency range when cutting. But a good job for three hours and otherwise nice and small. I'm curious to see what a complete, functioning cutting head looks like on your machine. I accept that you don't want to show something before it's finished.
Until then, I won't bother you any further.
Thomas