Piezo ceramics as cutting head drivers?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

grooveguy

Re: Piezo ceramics as cutting head drivers?

Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:20 pm

It would be good to know what sort of 'stroke' the injector has, either from direct actuation or with the aid of the Hydraulic Amplifier. It would seem to me that a squirt of fuel requires quite a bit of displacement, and that maybe even the 'short stack' might move a cutting stylus sufficiently to modulate a (micro)groove.

Tinplate

Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:10 am

Today I understood that the mechanical lever in direct type injectors is not used to extend the movement, but to reverse its direction (the injector must be open when voltage is applied, not when there is no voltage). In the senis of using injectors, I thought of them as the source of the piezo stack, omitting (cutting off) the entire chydraulics or mechanics (connecting cutterhead push rod directly to push pin from stack). I suspect that such a stack has its internally determined tension imposed by the stack casing or some other element. It is possible that when the mechanical lever is removed, the piezo stack will lose its pre-determined tension. These are just assumptions. Maybe it's time to buy and destroy a few injectors. :wink:

grooveguy

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:40 am

Sounds like a plan. I've got a feeling those injectors don't come cheap. Maybe a wrecking yard? Who supplies the piezo stacks? Maybe someone like TDK; should be possible to get just that part.