mag head for GI decks

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jesus H Chrysler

mag head for GI decks

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:36 am

I picked up a meissner phonorecorder recently for cheap and it's got a dead x-26 head on it. Otherwise in really nice shape. Im not planning on keeping it, figured it'd be a good one to fix and resell for a newb. I could just send the head off to Gib to get fixed up, but Im cheap and I like to tinker, so maybe I'll try my hand at making a mag head for it. I think I still have a Brush laydown head somewhere that I can maybe reverse engineer. I successfully rebuilt my 1-c after melting the coils,so maybe I can pull this off. Any thoughts? Potential problems ( aside from impedance, easily sorted)? Arguments about why it won't work while you furiously build your own? I'm open. Let er rip.

opcode66

Re: mag head for GI decks

Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:02 am

I've repaired over 250 mono heads now. You may also consider my full rebuild service.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

emorritt

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 am

Astatic made a mag head for GI turntables; the M-41. However, if your unit was originally wired for a crystal head, you'll have to change the output wiring to the cutting arm because crystal units operate on 180 VRMS - a LOT of juice; usually taken off the plate(s) of the output tube(s). This would smoke any magnetic head. Units like this that were originally wired for magnetic heads take the recording output post-transformer, not from the tube plate circuit. I think units like the Bell RC-47A had magnetic heads - at least the later units did. (I had one years ago that had the M-41.) Same GI turntable mechanism, but with a magnetic cutter.

Jesus H Chrysler

Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:29 am

opcode66 wrote:I've repaired over 250 mono heads now. You may also consider my full rebuild service.
I didn't realize you did crystal heads too. I'm trying to do this one on the cheap though, so it's gonna be diy.
I might be interested in a set of 1-c coils though. My homemade ones work pretty well but I'm sure yours are way better.