and what about this as a cutting sylus?

Anything goes! Inventors! Artists! Cutting edge solutions to old problems. But also non-commercial usage of record cutting. Cost- effective, cost-ineffective, nutso, brilliant, terribly fabulous and sometimes fabulously terrible ideas.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

chaosbc

and what about this as a cutting sylus?

Mon May 28, 2012 10:12 am

I found this on ebay : http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MT-1-Lathe-Dead-Centre-Ideal-Myford-all-Record-Lathes-/140271768949?pt=UK_Crafts_Other_Crafts_EH&hash=item20a8d95575

I was surprised because it says it could fit record lathes.
the point is since english is not my mother tongue, I suspect I misunderstood or maybe there is a wood lathe brand named "Record" because they are really cheap. (can't complain but..)
Please can you tell me what do you think about it ?

Techie

Mon May 28, 2012 10:19 am

I think there is a tool company called Record. When I do a search for "Record Cutter" I often find a tool that looks like a wrench or bolt cutter of some sort.

bancho

Mon May 28, 2012 10:53 am

"The lathe" is referred to many tools where there is the processed object which is turning. The most common lathe is used for making cylindrical shapes, there are also CNC lathes ... and there is a minority which are discussed here - lathes for making records. You probably know all this...
The item you are looking is one side of lathe for making cylindrical shapes and it fits Myford and all other record lathes (record = company ... probably).
I hope you understand as my english is not perfect either.

When you search for lathes (the ones we are talking about) or anything related search for the names like Neumann, Presto, Scully, Ortofon, Lyrec, Fairchild, Westrex, Haeco, RCA, Grampian and so on.
When you find some brand name you don't know try to search for related items on ebay or google. It helps a lot :wink:

chaosbc

Mon May 28, 2012 1:29 pm

It confirms what I thought...thank you guys..
I'll keep on digging !