Vinyl Police? Or Vinyl Mafia?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Fri May 06, 2011 4:38 am

I heard the same thing. That Panasonic is not going to discontinue every TT line. They are going to still make the more recent ones in limited quantities.

Those who truly care about their sound will likely still want to play some vinyl. I see serious dj's mix formats a lot these days. Playing both cd's and vinyl. Or, using a time coded vinyl system as well as regular vinyl in the same set.

As far as I'm concerned the time coded vinyl systems are keeping TT's in clubs. If it werent for the time coded vinyl we would see the decks gone and just cdj's and a mixer. Less gear for the club to maintain and fix. Less space for the dj setup (ie more space for patrons). If a venue could get by without TT's it would.

My 2 cents...
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

maniman

Fri May 06, 2011 6:09 am

The way that serato system can use regular records is totally a shit , I'm in hiphop and record many many scratches with both ways every session (yes , some idiots believe can make serious scratch recordings with serato , is like open heart surgery with picnic knives)

Try to play a record directly phono to pre , and try it passing by the serato.... the serato makes shit the direct phono sound that forward , when recording scratches with serato and regular records 2 systems needed , one with the serato (and one volume and eq) and other one regular system (other volume and eq).

Serato for me is only useful for strictly selectas , not a very useful dj tool , as I say for me , a dj do scratch , back-spins and that type of things , isn't a simply tune mixer , in that basis for me serato doesn't exist , isn't an option.

Regards
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

JayDC

Fri May 06, 2011 10:42 am

maniman wrote:Hehehe , as long as timecoded records would needed the pressing plants still up and running , hehehe
I suppose, the difference is the press is making 2 records per DJ's lifetime instead of the 100's per month it used to..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

opcode66

Fri May 06, 2011 10:42 am

I haven't really seen people use Serato to scratch. I have seem them switch between time coded vinyl and also play regular vinyl without issue. Not sure why you have seen such a difference in playback quality. My friends use version 3 of the box.

I don't use Serato. But, a few prominent DJ's in Chicago do. I won't name names. But, for sure, I've seen some well known guys playing with the system. It is all how you use it.

As long as you can still mix without beat matching software or staring at your computer screen (ie you can do it by ear) then you are a dj by my standards. Regardless of your format.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Fri May 06, 2011 10:46 am

JayDC wrote:I suppose, the difference is the press is making 2 records per DJ's lifetime instead of the 100's per month it used to..
The people I know who use Serato blow through time coded vinyl discs pretty fast. More like one set every few months. But still a pittance in comparison to days of pressing not too long ago.

JayDC

Fri May 06, 2011 11:04 am

maniman wrote:The way that serato system can use regular records is totally a shit , I'm in hiphop and record many many scratches with both ways every session (yes , some idiots believe can make serious scratch recordings with serato , is like open heart surgery with picnic knives)

Regards
I agree, one of the reasons I'm phasing it out of my act..

on a side note, it's rumored that pioneer is going to pick up the production of the technic's 1200..

I'm pretty sure that both technics and pioneer are part of panasonic...

I will say, if anything, the demand issue is not coz of less vinyl demand, as much as how awesome a technics turntable is built.. I've had mine since the early 90's, gigged them out a million times, hundreds of people have used them, and I even threw one at an ex girlfriend and it smashed on the hardwood floor, still works great, no repairs.. throwing it did cause a little dent on the side tho.. i mean very tiny..

JayDC

Fri May 06, 2011 11:12 am

opcode66 wrote:
JayDC wrote:I suppose, the difference is the press is making 2 records per DJ's lifetime instead of the 100's per month it used to..
The people I know who use Serato blow through time coded vinyl discs pretty fast. More like one set every few months. But still a pittance in comparison to days of pressing not too long ago.

WELL DONT USE ORTOFONE CONCORDS

never had an issue wit my needle messing up a vinyl.. I use stanton 500al's or 680hp's..

I know for a fact that ortofones will damage vinyl.. not meant for back queing...

The only serato vinyl i replaced was the originals, since they where warped.. The ones I use are custom 180g splattered color vinyl, that i got from a shady guy in a 7-11 parking lot in Los Angeles. $60 each, true story..

opcode66

Fri May 06, 2011 12:00 pm

JayDC wrote:on a side note, it's rumored that pioneer is going to pick up the production of the technic's 1200..
Panasonic is not discontinuing the entire line. They are however only going to make them in limited quantities. From what I understand, the discontinuation of the entire line was only an Internet rumor and was not an official statement.
JayDC wrote:I'm pretty sure that both technics and pioneer are part of panasonic...
Matsushita owns both but they are separate entities.

subkontrabob

Fri May 06, 2011 4:13 pm

opcode66 wrote:
JayDC wrote:on a side note, it's rumored that pioneer is going to pick up the production of the technic's 1200..
Panasonic is not discontinuing the entire line. They are however only going to make them in limited quantities. From what I understand, the discontinuation of the entire line was only an Internet rumor and was not an official statement.
It's funny how persistent rumors and counter-rumors are. I didn't believe it myself.....

well, check this out:

http://www.dmcdjchamps.com/news-view.php?n=Mjk5

"After more than 35 years as a leading manufacturer of analogue turntables, Panasonic has regretfully taken the decision to leave this market. However, Panasonic will continue to sell headphones under the Technics brand.
"

looks like a legitimate piece of information to me........

sorry for taking the thread further off- topic, maybe we should open another ranting thread for this stuff?