Is there anybody want to start a plant in CHINA ?

Once you have cut a master laquer, you have metal stampers created and have records pressed from them. Discuss manufacturing here. (Record Matrix Electroforming- Plating, Vinyl Record Pressing.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

6_million

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:12 am

Here are really massive demand of making vinyl LP or EP from Indie bands.

I had tried to find some plants in china but no result. Maybe this country didn't have any plant for a long time, I'm not quite sure. Last week my friend told me SONY have a vinyl plant. And its last pressing was in 2003.
I had connected SONY shanghai's factory, but no reply.

I viewed one thread in forum said china gov. want to buy a russian plant. Is there someone having new information about it ?

Thanks!!

fraggle

Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:35 am

Sorry but i hope this does not happen.
I reckon it is enough if 90% of the things around us are made in china.
Don't take it personally mate.
Cheers

mossboss

Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:33 pm

The Motion Picture Association of America estimates about 95 percent of all DVDs sold in China are pirated, costing the industry $280 million last year. The industry group representing the major Hollywood studios says it has warned Beijing of an increasingly restless US Congress and possible trade consequences if China does not do more to fight piracy.

Link:http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?121837-China-World-s-Largest-Source-of-Counterfeit-and-Pirated-Products
You can also have Cerona Beer filled with Chinese piss
Apart from the deliberate spelling of the name the bottle as well as everything else is a straight out copy Nice Hey
Now this guy want to ruin what little is left of our little industry with his six million dollars WTF
Mate I would melt the gear down and sell it for scrap rather than see them in a country that does the rest of the world no good apart from looking after themselves with absolutely no concern or any morals on Pirating bootlegging and so on
Even after so many years of World Trade Organisation Membership your people are still ripping everything and anything that will make them a Buck
Western buyers wanting cheaper products do not help either so it is not one sided at all but it is a real concern
First the Japanese than the Tawainese than the Koreans now the Chinese
Go to any market in China and see what is available as a copy It is frightening
Why dont you start getting orders from this "huge market" place them in existing plants show an example to the rest of us that you will be a good honest operator respecting other people rights and you may be in a better position
Please there is nothing personal in this
And please do not think that it has not be done elsewhere in the world It is only recently that people have been charged in England with pirating as well as counterfeiting but it is the exception and not the rule whereby in China it seems to be the rule
If you have an opportunity to make a contribution to the vinyl record industry why do you need a plant in China?
Since China exports more stuff than any one in the world in containers and very little goes back there by comparisson, your authorities who own them as well as the shipping companies will take empty containers or even full ones back there for little or no cost so they can be used again rather than pay "Foreigners" to use their containers
The last two years one could send a full 20" container back to China for about USD $250 You cannot beat that for a 22.5 tonne pay load can you?
That equelas about 150,000 12" records of whatever size run per record you want
So here is an alternative for you to start of with Mr 6 Million
Cheers
Chris

6_million

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:57 am

Thank your replies , fraggle and mossboss !

First of all, if we want to press vinyl, we want to press our Chinese band's record. all we want to press are chinese records. it's important. For downloading is everywhere(it's sad but true), nobody want to buy a pirated record. In China, people want to pay more for real one, not a fake one.

I have checked all plants around world for price, I think it's ok, and we can afford. But the problem is we have to pay almost same money for shipping from overseas, if we press 500 copies 120-140g LP. Another problem is if a indie label want to shipping 500 copies from other country, the custom will earn more extra money even don't let they go. If we know a company only charge a little money for shipping like mossboss said and without too much check by China Custom, we will press in existing plants.

Not like western countries, vinyl record don''t have a long enough history in China and not a big market now. But I know more and more people like me want to have their own vinyl record or buy some new Chinese record. If we can press in China, then we can sell it in a reasonable price. We want to people buy it like a record not an expensive article.

I considerate all the things have a circle. For vinyl record been disappeared in China a long time, it will resuscitation for one day.

I am waiting for more advice and information.

Cheers

andybee

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:40 am

I can offer 120 Euro shipping to china, for a DHL 31kg parcel,
from germany... thats of course, very expensive.
for 500 records, you need approx. 3 parcels, thats 360 euro
shipping, really a lot....

JayDC

Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:20 am

I think was mossy was talking about is this:

Guy in china w/ dreams starts an export business in lets say, Los Angeles, CA.

Then the guy starts giving out P&D's to great Chinese bands. He signs 150 bands for a 1000 copy deal. Thats 150,000 copies. He then produces the product at, lets say, Rainbo Records in Cali. Since he is a registered exporter to China with the USA and China, he then starts getting into the whole sale shipping market. Using his chinese contacts, he partners with a chinese logistics company, and strikes a deal to use empty shipping containers going back to china for the lowest price possible.

With the sheer magnitude of pressings, and the acquisition of a long term logistical contract with a reliable courier that has lower then average rates. This could be a profitable business.

As mossy stated in the past, its not the records that are expensive, its everything else..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

MEGAMIKE

Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:56 am

incognito :lol:
start a plant off shore .. tax free ,use another name (incognito)..
WHYNOT every other main player to this planet has (SWETSHOP CHEAP LABOUR)..
80% of my (AUS) materal is from china......
my hardware store ,CHINA
what i were from head to toe......yep CHINA................
so why not a cheap pressing plant,does not our coalition /alied governments finacialy support this???..

dont be fooled the pirates and manufacture are 2 of the same/complete mirror image of each other......

mossboss

Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:34 pm

Ok here we go
The guy PM me so here is the deal from the 6 Million dollar man

>As our plan, we want to have 500 copies each record and press three records in a year. But I don't know other labels plan if they want to press vinyl.<
So he will now have a look at other bands etc
So here we are another possible plant hey Sure 1000 bands and 1500 each sounds like a better deal to me JD
Cheers
Chris

JayDC

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:25 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:incognito :lol:
start a plant off shore .. tax free ,use another name (incognito)..
WHYNOT every other main player to this planet has (SWETSHOP CHEAP LABOUR)..
80% of my (AUS) materal is from china......
my hardware store ,CHINA
what i were from head to toe......yep CHINA................
so why not a cheap pressing plant,does not our coalition /alied governments finacialy support this???..

dont be fooled the pirates and manufacture are 2 of the same/complete mirror image of each other......
okay, now we are scheming.. for 1.2 mill USD you can buy a friggen cargo ship.. Then for another Mil or so you can supply it with presses, cutting room, and tons of broadband internet.. Then for like 1/2 a Mil you can buy a smaller cargo ship to actually transport the cargo.. Park this floating factory 20 miles off the coast of pretty much anywhere, pour some margarita's for you and the crew, and print some tax free income..

If you do this, I'm soooo in, as long as i can smoke weed on the boat, when I'm not working..

mossboss

Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:57 pm

What is wrong with smoking weed while you are working man
Cheers
Chris

JayDC

Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:04 pm

I was just trying to be responsible, but I guess a hook for a hand or an eye patch would be suiting.

While I'm dreaming and ranting, we should probably install a 100Kwatt FM transmitter to broadcast our catalog, and setup a deal with shops where we give them 1/4 of the inventory for free to take our smuggled, anti-establishment recordings and turn them into currency..

or we smuggle the records into a place that has good postal, but poor shore defense, and mail out the records one at a time, after taking orders from a variety of online web stores targeted at the markets we are trying to reach. We could seriously hype releases ahead of time to get an approximate number to press, via pre-ordering from our online shops.

either way, we should probably get in to contact with the local entertainment mob, and strike a deal they can't refuse to make sure all of our stuff is played in the clubs, and our performers are headliners.

Then its almost a full circle, with all the proceeds going to the cayman islands.

We are going to need a good laser printer to make labels..

montalbano

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:10 pm

I think we will see rather soon:
- Beta Toolez
- Laned
- Tauniz Thorne Technics

or something like that

I remember that in the 80's (some Italians might remember this as well) there was a fantastic copy of the classic 80's Nike shoes (white and cyan): all was perfect and the font, logo, style etc were exactly the same but the logo was spotting "MIKE"!

I might send one pair over to Aussie, if I manage to find them because 20 years have passed ... will have a look on Ebay ... personalized shoes

WTF
Phil from Phono Press, Milan, Italy
http://www.phonopress.it

mossboss

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:41 pm

JD and others
Laser or digital printers are a NO NO for record labels It goes something like this
The ink the DP put on the paper is cooked at around the 120 Degrees C The records are pressed at around 159-160 C
So you undo what the DP has done Absolutely useless for the job
Or when you put them in the oven to dry the all get stuck to each other making a right old mess

Cheers
Chris

JayDC

Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:54 pm

mossboss wrote:JD and others
Laser or digital printers are a NO NO for record labels It goes something like this
The ink the DP put on the paper is cooked at around the 120 Degrees C The records are pressed at around 159-160 C
So you undo what the DP has done Absolutely useless for the job
Or when you put them in the oven to dry the all get stuck to each other making a right old mess

Cheers
s'all good chris, they taught me to run A.B. Dick one color presses in high school.. We can use pantone colors :P

We would still need a laser printer though, thats the equivalent of a DMM lathe in the print world. We can use it to create plates for the printing press (1 step).

mossboss

Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:28 pm

Yes You are right We do all our 7" covers in one We call it the photocopier on steroids excelent for flyers as well as hand outs on a gig for a vinyl release
Part of some of our package deals
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:06 am

mossboss wrote:What is wrong with smoking weed while you are working man
Cheers
Absolutely nothing.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

MEGAMIKE

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:49 am

lots wrong with it .costumers asume you smoke so when they collect there records they bring weed instead of cash...

subkontrabob

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:58 am

JayDC wrote: okay, now we are scheming.. for 1.2 mill USD you can buy a friggen cargo ship.. Then for another Mil or so you can supply it with presses, cutting room, and tons of broadband internet.. Then for like 1/2 a Mil you can buy a smaller cargo ship to actually transport the cargo.. Park this floating factory 20 miles off the coast of pretty much anywhere, pour some margarita's for you and the crew, and print some tax free income..

If you do this, I'm soooo in, as long as i can smoke weed on the boat, when I'm not working..
......reporting for volunteer duty, request permission to come aboard! :D

subkontrabob

Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:01 am

MEGAMIKE wrote:lots wrong with it .costumers asume you smoke so when they collect there records they bring weed instead of cash...
well, if you don't smoke it all and calculate your prices well, you could sell most of the weed........ :roll: :lol:

maniman

Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:35 am

subkontrabob wrote:
MEGAMIKE wrote:lots wrong with it .costumers asume you smoke so when they collect there records they bring weed instead of cash...
well, if you don't smoke it all and calculate your prices well, you could sell most of the weed........ :roll: :lol:
Both are cool , I guess really the money don't are representative of the goods value in a 98 % of the cases by excess and by default (cutters that charge 63 euros for a record recorded @ -9 db for standard 12 minutes and a bit time are the best example ) , let's return to the barter ? where sign ?
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.