Vinyl recorder part ID please - groove speed part

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

David34

Vinyl recorder part ID please - groove speed part

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Hi trolls,

Cutting a disc and my groove speed controller is now starting fast, then slowing down.

We’ve cracked open the module/unit and worked out which part may be faulty, but of course the part number has been ground off.

I am on good terms with Souri, but can not afford one month postage there, and one month back. I have customer back log.

Can anyone on here please ID this part? I’m sure some of you will have this problem in the future, or may already have..??

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Discomo

Re: Vinyl recorder part ID please - groove speed part

Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:56 pm

Is there a reason why you suspect this part to be faulty?

I previously had a problem with a faulty din plug from the main unit to the motor. This was causing erratic voltages and slowing down of the motor and finally killing it.

Repairs by Souri go fast. Matter of a few days. Of course sending in Corona times may seriously complicate things, especially from outside Europe.

DJ2000

Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:39 pm

my electronics isnt the best but thats a transistor, with part number taken off like Souri does makes it harder to find replacements but I would have thought a transistor if gone faulty it would either work or not work (gone short or open circuit)

if the speeds fast then slows have you tried switch cleaner in the speed controller dial? might just be dirty ive had issues with cracks and noise from bass dail on the main unit and switch cleaner cured that it could be a simlar issue but with the speed dial

Tinplate

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:29 pm

The mysterious part is LM317 - adjustable positive voltage regulator.

markrob

Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:31 pm

Actually, its an LM317 adjustable voltage regulator. It may be bad, but also make sure the shorting plug is faulty. The shorting plug is removed if an external pitch control is used. If the plug is open, the regulator goes full on. If the pass transistor in the LM317 fails shorted, you will have the same issue.

Mark

David34

Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:06 am

You guys are great. I am so grateful. Let's hope we can get somewhere with this.

It's the downtime that I am avoiding, not Souri. I like the guy, never had any problems with him or his equipment, blanks etc.

It's just taking too long to send things and get them back.

Thanks again!!

David34

Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Just an update - that part changed, we added a heat sink to it, and cutter working fine now. Groove speed back in action!

Can’t thanks you guys enough. A $3 part! So I bought 3!!