Old Capps Styli

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Doug6N

Old Capps Styli

Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi:

In the bottom of an old K8 that I got to be an organ donor was this old stylus. I cleaned it up and it's cuts like a champ.

On the shank it says Capps S.A. 2187512 Anyone have an idea as to what mil it is?. Funny the cut is larger then LP but is smaller then 78 at least to my eye. Seams I can use a 3mil or 1mil or .7 on playback and all seam about equal.

Also in looking at the finish on the tip. It is positively beautiful as to how the shapes facets etc are cut. To me it looks much better then what I can buy now. Am I correct on my assessment?

It will slice through old dry 50 year blanks like nothing. :) And gives a respectable cut. With a new blank it's amazing. :)

I'm no expert. I just play around for fun. Just looking for some information as to quality of manufactured styli then compared to now.

I'm presently using on a 1C Presto Head and 6N cutter

Thanks in advance for any input

Doug

mossboss

Capps

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:27 pm

The lady was amazing I think it is a stylus made with a shallow angle so as records made from the cut were able to be played in the older record players as well as the newer machines That is why you can use all these playback stylii without an issue An interim measure at the time Neumann introduced the EE equiliser for the same purpose but did it by cutting out audio frequencies bellow 150-300 Khz to achieve the same result
The lady did it with the stylus! I believe early ones where made in the USA of course the Japanese copied them I have some to suit the Neumann heads but no information whatsoever but the are Japanese made with the Capps name on them
Cheers

Doug6N

Old Capps Styli

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:34 pm

Hi Mossboss:

Many thanks for the information. The appearance of the stylus under a microscope is way different from other styli I've looked at. As to how the facets etc are cut. I'd heard of more or less universal playback styli of years gone by. Never had seen an actual stylus designed to cut this type of groove. I'm going to just put this stylus aside now instead of wearing it out.

This stylus makes an incredibly quiet cut without being heated.

I've only heard of Capps this the first time I've ever come across one of the companies stylus. Seams as though the ability to manufacture as stylus this quiet today may be lost?

Does anyone have any history or information on Capps?

Doug

markrob

Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi,

Take a look at US patent numbers 2187512 2530284 and 3184242 for some of the types designed by Capps. Not sure if yours is included. Also In the Robert K. Morrison Book, "Disk Recording 1930-1960", there is a reprint of an article by Capps describing the technology. If you don't have this book, I'd highly reccomend it.

Mark

cd4cutter

Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:20 pm

Capps made a unique cutting stylus shape in the pre-stereo era. The cutting face was curved rather than being flat or planar as are all other styli. Capps called this the "Cappscoop" and it did indeed function as a scoop to curl the chip as it cut. The scoop shape was not so well suited for cutting stereo records, and I think Capps stopped making it sometime in the 1960s.
Collecting moss, phonos, and radios in the mountains of WNC

jtransition

Capps

Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:52 pm

I have just tried one from an old batch.They are very nice indeed.
Jason

cuttercollector

Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:49 pm

In the 50s there was something called a 2 mil. "universal playback" stylus as well.
Len H. has showed me some very late 78s that were cut so they could be played with either "standard" or microgroove playback styli, and I believe he has mastered a few 78s for people using that same technology.
Don't know if he used one of the special Capps styli or not.