cutting heads for cutting bigger, gramophone- spec grooves?

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:55 am

Sounds like you have some dust under the lacquer or the lacquer discs are warped. If you mount a light over the turntable you can see the reflection of the light on the surface of the lacquer disc so that you can easily see any warpage.

You might also check that the turntable is levelled properly. I knew a guy that had an AM131 but never looked under the turntable but I imagine the levelling is the same as the AM32B and the VMS series of lathes. Focus your microscope on the surface of the turntable and rotate slowly by hand - does it go our of focus??? If so, level the turntable using the adjustment screws underneath while checking the focus whlle gently rotating the turntable.

If your stylus is heated, you should avoid the swarf ("chip") from wrapping itself around the stylus as it is highly flammable. Sometimes less vacuum is best - you simply need to find the right angle for the suction and this will probably change again when you get some new lacquers. Try heating the old lacquer discs under a light before cutting - this may help with swarf removal. Someone here suggested some talcum powder in the suction tube to help the swarf glide through to the glass jar (or the bag in your vacuum cleaner). And ofcourse, dont smoke when you are emptying the ball of swarf unless you enjoy being part of a pyrotechnics display!

Good luck and keep us posted!

subkontrabob

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:34 am

thanks for the reply Aussie,
Aussie0zborn wrote:Sounds like you have some dust under the lacquer or the lacquer discs are warped. If you mount a light over the turntable you can see the reflection of the light on the surface of the lacquer disc so that you can easily see any warpage.
I suspect the lacquers, they are quite old, and might have been stored improperly. And yes, installing a light source is on the list :)
Aussie0zborn wrote: You might also check that the turntable is levelled properly. I knew a guy that had an AM131 but never looked under the turntable but I imagine the levelling is the same as the AM32B and the VMS series of lathes. Focus your microscope on the surface of the turntable and rotate slowly by hand - does it go our of focus??? If so, level the turntable using the adjustment screws underneath while checking the focus whlle gently rotating the turntable.
I have some pictures of the underside, I think it has the same adjustment screws as the vms series. Will check with the microscope. Is it btw possible, that some of the holes in the platter are not clear anymore and hence can't produce suction? Just a wild theory.....
Aussie0zborn wrote: If your stylus is heated, you should avoid the swarf ("chip") from wrapping itself around the stylus as it is highly flammable. Sometimes less vacuum is best - you simply need to find the right angle for the suction and this will probably change again when you get some new lacquers. Try heating the old lacquer discs under a light before cutting - this may help with swarf removal. Someone here suggested some talcum powder in the suction tube to help the swarf glide through to the glass jar (or the bag in your vacuum cleaner). And ofcourse, dont smoke when you are emptying the ball of swarf unless you enjoy being part of a pyrotechnics display!
Luckily, I was able to avoid pyrotechnic displays of any kind :D

But yes, the swarf problem was serious. What do you mean with angle? the suction tube is fixed, there is no quick and easy way to adjust it.

I've read about the talcum powder, but the way I understood it was that it is meant to prevent the swarf from sticking to and clogging the inside of the chip tube.

subkontrabob

chip/swarf trouble......

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:46 pm

went to the studio again today and noticed that indeed there is some swarf caught up in the tube. also, the swarf didn't fall out intp the swarf collecting container, but stuck to the end of the pipe.

:?

seems that a trip to the drugstore is inevitable.........

subkontrabob

turntable level

Mon May 03, 2010 3:06 pm

.......forgot to mention that I checked the turntable with the microscope, but it seems to be perfectly level in relation to the scope, I couldn't detect any vertical movement of the platter.