Etching A Record Onto A CD

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

destro

Etching A Record Onto A CD

Mon May 17, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi, this is my 1st post here. I'm no expert so forgive me if I use some of the wrong terminology.

I was thinking of having a record made on a CD. Not a CD sized record, but an actual CD. I know it's possible, and I know who can do it for me. I was wondering a few things though.

Would this be hell on a record needle? I wouldn't want them ruining people's record players.

Also if anyone has ever tried this, is the sound quality similar to that of a normal record? Or worse?

Any other details on this would be appreciated, thanks!

subkontrabob

Tue May 18, 2010 4:20 am

You mean cutting a groove on a CD? I have no experience with this, but as a guideline I can say that the quality will be worse than that of a normal vinyl record.

This is because of the physical properties, especially the small size of the disc.
Compare the size and surface area of the CD to a 12" or 7" record . Most of the surface area of a cd (12 cm diameter) is within the label area of a vinyl record (10 cm for 12" and 9 cm diameter for 7"). There is a reason why this area is not used.

1. There will be more high frequency loss
2. There will be more distortion
3. many record players (especially those with some degree of automation) won't play it back. Even with a technics, you will only be able to play back the first 3 cm from the outer edge.

I hope this doesn't discourage you, I'm just trying to state some facts dictated by groove geometry.

As I stated before, I can't tell you anything related to the actual cutting on this material (e.g. what a signal to noise ratio you could expect), because I haven't tried it.

cheers,

Bob

PS: some people cut on laserdiscs :wink:

Aussie0zborn

Tue May 18, 2010 7:40 am

If you are talking about cutting grooves onto a CD to play back on a turntable, its been done before,

If however you are talking about pressing a record onto a CD, I cant see why it cant be done. This would have to be a one-sided record if pressed on a CD machine but could be a two-sided record if pressed on a DVD machine, seeing as each half of DVDs are pressed separately. The two halves are bonded together to make a double-sided DVD disc.

As bob mentioned above, it's not ideal to cut at such a small diameter but then again companies like Erika Records in the USA cut and press 5" vinyl records, as well as 7", 10", 11" (I think) and 12".

You will ofcourse need to find someone willing to cut into those small diameters as automatic lathes such as the Neumann VMS series would need to be re-set and that could be a hassle for a one-off cut unless someone sees it as an interesting project.

Let us know exactly what you mean.

piaptk

Tue May 18, 2010 9:39 am

I cut grooves onto CDs all the time... I've got several releases up for sale at my label: http://www.PIAPTK.com. Sound is pretty good. Maybe not as good as a real record, but very good... maybe 80% as good if not more. And a large part of that is because I don't have the top of the line lathe, or decades of engineering experience. They play fine and wont damage your needle. The main problem is some pitch warbling because of it being hard to center. However, I have found a hex=nut that works pretty well as a spacer.

I can fit 20 minutes of digital music and about 3 minutes of grooved music on a cdr and it plays back great in computers and car stereos. I also cut Laserdiscs. They are both made out of high grade optical plastic, which has very low noise.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

MEGAMIKE

Tue May 18, 2010 11:04 am

hi i do them, 3mins on one 5inch,sounds great. then you stick it to a cdr of your choice.and if you have an image on the cd you can still see it (pic disc cd)..
they cost 5.50$ each AUD ,i have 30 left? :D

destro

Tue May 18, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks everyone. Between all of you, I think I got the info that I needed.

piaptk

Tue May 18, 2010 2:45 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:hi i do them, 3mins on one 5inch,sounds great. then you stick it to a cdr of your choice.and if you have an image on the cd you can still see it (pic disc cd)..
they cost 5.50$ each AUD ,i have 30 left? :D
Why do you even mess with the poly carb 5" when you can cut directly onto the bottom of the cd? The only benefit i guess would be getting more than 20 min of digital music. But, the downside would be that you could only play the 5'/cdr combo in a top loading cd player, not a computer or car stereo.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

MEGAMIKE

Wed May 19, 2010 10:33 am

iam not putting my diamond anywere near a cd :D

piaptk

Wed May 19, 2010 12:26 pm

MEGAMIKE wrote:iam not putting my diamond anywere near a cd :D
Why not? It's the same stuff as polycarbonate blanks...

in fact I've actually been embossing them with an Apollo ruby stylus. Every once in a while it will start cutting for about a quarter turn (making awful noise) and then go right back to embossing. Not sure why they work on cds but not polycarb blanks... mayb e they aren't EXACTLY the same, but I'm pretty sure they are not any worse on your diamond tip...
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com