Cut lacquer with vinylrecorder

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Cut lacquer with vinylrecorder

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:54 pm

I was wondering if it is possible to cut a lacquer with the Vinylrecorder system.

I see that they say you can't. That it is a fire hazard (duh).

I undertand that the recommendation is not to do it. But is it possible? Has anyone done this? What would you have to tweak to do this?

I want to be able to cut both acetates and polycarbonates on the same system. The polycarbs I would use to DJ. The acetates would be sent out for platting and pressing (since it seems you can't plate a polycarb).

Can I do this? Would I need two lathes? Or can I use the same lathe and exchange cutting heads? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

piaptk

Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:02 pm

I probably shouldn't even reply to this because I have no experience with them really, but from what I understand, the only reason that you can't cut a lacquer with them is because the stylus is diamond (static attracts the swarf and it gets wrapped around it and clumps), but I BELIEVE the stylus is interchangable with a Neumann ruby from Apollo (or is that Vinylium?), in which case, I think you should be able to cut lacquers with the ruby, but not for 12"s (you need a 14"+ platter).

Anyone else feel free to correct me, if I'm mistaken.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

cymbalism

Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:02 am

you couldnt cut a master lacquer for plating unless you hooked it up to a table with a 14 or 16 inch platter and i dont even know it the v.r. would fit over anything but a technics 1200/1210
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

piaptk

Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:16 am

cymbalism wrote:you couldnt cut a master lacquer for plating unless you hooked it up to a table with a 14 or 16 inch platter and i dont even know it the v.r. would fit over anything but a technics 1200/1210
But, if he was cutting a 10" or 7" master, would he be able to exchange the stylus with a ruby?
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

mossboss

Cutting Masters on a VR

Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:39 am

Yep same shank and if he mucks around with the vacuum pick up he may be even be able to use it with the diamond stylus a hard act to follow
Another way is to make the cutting stylus conductive
It has been done before but it is a harder act to follow
You need to be a bit more than an experimenter to be able to do this as it requires the stylus to be ground or earthed to the lacquer so as to discharge its static charge
Done by plating the stylus with silver or gold and making sure that it stays there at its rear not at the cutting face
At the cost of lacquers today why bother attempting to cut lacquers on a machine that was never designed for the purpose
Not that it is not capable of doing it by the way
As pointed out the styli are interchangable to the standard Neumann type either Sapphire or Ruby
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 pm

So, it is possible to cut into a 10" or 7" lacquer with a Neumann sapphire or ruby needle. And, replacing the needle is possible because the vinylrecorder cutterhead has the same configuration for the shank.

Am I understanding this correctly?

opcode66

Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 pm

So, it is possible to cut into a 10" or 7" lacquer with a Neumann sapphire or ruby needle installed into the vinylrecorder cutterhead. And, replacing the needle is possible because the vinylrecorder cutterhead has the same configuration for the shank.

Am I understanding this correctly?

mossboss

VR

Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:17 pm

Yes and Yes as you have two post's my man Not sure what you are going to do about stylus heat I am not versed enough with the machine so as to tell you But it is not a hard thing to do any way so no big deal a little transformer and a pot
By the way to cut 7" Lacquer masters you use a 10" lacquers and you use 14" lacquers for the 12" job
If you where to get a machine shop to spin you a platter out of a car flywheel sit it on top of a decent turtable and get another auxilary motor with a belt drive and a speed control on it I am sure you would be able to cut 14" lacquers as well I believe that at least one person here would be able to guide you through all of this as he has done it and he has got it worked out
Souri does provide the necessary components for an additional platter and the little motor with means of controlling it so as to do this anyway
Cheers
Chris

andybee

Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:54 pm

IMHO, it doesn´t work, because:
-cuttingangle is not correct (15degrees or something for laquer,
0 degrees for plastic)
-shank is the same, but the vinylrecorder diamond is much
longer then the neumann saphyrs etc.

you will have a different sound, because of the mechanical/RIAA
correction don´t work correct.

and, yes be careful with laquers, when you look at them too much,
they can explode!!!!!!!!!

opcode66

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:04 pm

@andybee - funny... Boom!

vinylrecorder.com does actually list a 14" blank. So, I guess that with the precision plate and motor you could cut a 14" disc. The overhead mechanism certainly looks to be big enough.

But as you have clearly covered the diamond is long. And, the RIAA correction would not be the same. I think I've seen a post from flo that covered how to create a shank for vinylrecorder head that would take the vinylium diamond. So, potentially it might be mechanically possible.

Wonder if you could put a Neumann head on their overhead mechanism? My guess is yes.

Do you know if you can cut both acetate and plastic with Vinylium?

fraggle

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:35 pm

yes you can

andybee

Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:10 pm

a SX-74 on a vinylrecorder :)
why not :)
vinylrecorder head is lightweight baby! :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esLWUbe2Lig

I think, you have to change mechanic a bit, stronger
springs etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgkYHx3LwM0
(ain't nothin but a peanut)

has anybody tried to cut a copper blank with
a vinyliumrecorder?

have phun!

flozki

Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:17 pm

of course i did cutting copper on a vinylium cutter. limitation is the technics 1200...but with a better drive..

piaptk

Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:45 pm

Are you using a diamond to cut copper? I really want to try cutting some copper, but I'm worried about my needles...
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

drdub

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:36 am

short: yes you can !
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

Internet

Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:15 am