Wax Taylor's CD/Vinyl album

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Steve E.
Site Admin

Wax Taylor's CD/Vinyl album

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:07 pm

cuttercollector

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:55 pm

Is there a commercial process for production?
Is this a mastered and pressed CD sized vinyl stuck to a commercially produced CD?
These can't be one-offs cut on recorded CD-R blanks.
Who is doing this? Someone here must know.

Maistrow

Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:34 am

Hummm, this looks a little phony. I wonder what this sounds like when you playback the vinyl portion of this disk on a turntable?

duomo

Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:47 am

I think its from Optimal-media here in Germany, they are the only one doning this as a pressed version. Minimum is a edition of 1000. I have a sample here sounds good but the hole thing is expansive..

mossboss

Vinyl, CD

Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:51 am

Yep it is Optimal and they have been at it for over a year now There was some press even earlier
I think they had about a minute and a half of music on the early ones It looks like they have a single on it now
Is that so Duomo?
I am not sure about the popularity of this However you cant knock it for inovation I think it is a great Idea in itself I do have reservations but, How is it going to sound like, after a while, if it is handled like CD? If it was handled like most people handle them it would certainly be bad given it was pressed on Vinyl However it may be injection moulded with the harder material that CD is made from and it may last a bit longer Be interesting to find out We will have to wait and see on this one I am affraid
Cheers