time ruler wav file

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Abstract

time ruler wav file

Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:13 am

Hi everyone, Scott Gorsuch from Musicol here.

I've been meaning to share this for a while, and just keep forgetting - I made a stretchable time ruler wav file, using a kick drum (with reverb, to make it more visible), with hits at 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 minutes, which you can drag into a cutting session to help you better measure time while you're cutting. This is especially useful on long sides, but I've also shortened for 2 min 7" 45s! It's nice to see exactly when you're at the 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 way point with precision.

I alt-drag the end in Reaper to resize it, although this should be doable in every DAW. Don't forget to mute it, lol!

Here's the private soundcloud link:

https://soundcloud.com/scott-gorsuch/lacquer-cutting-time-ruler/s-XdgPUH23RPe

tragwag

Re: time ruler wav file

Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:11 am

nice, thanks Scott! big fan of Musicol so it's great to have you here
-Tyler
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Abstract

Re: time ruler wav file

Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:30 am

You're welcome Tyler!

Folks with computer-controlled Neumann lathes might not need this, but for manually tweaking the pitch as you cut, especially on long sides - that 'ruler' has been incredibly helpful!

And again, for other folks that might not understand how I'm using this: you import this WAV into your session on a new track underneath the track you're cutting, mute it and drag it to the start point, and stretch the end point to match your source WAV. That's it. You now have a reliable grasp of where (when) you are as you're cutting! Can't imagine NOT using it now!

cheers,
Scott

ps, I suppose people could actually USE the kick drum sound in a song, although it's ridiculously huge to make it more visible - haha!