Using old PVC blanks for test cuts

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

PMST

Using old PVC blanks for test cuts

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:26 am

Hi!

I was wondering, when doing test cuts of tunes, is there any reason not to use old blanks that have already been heated and cut on? For example if one side is still uncut but one side had been cut in the past, is there a reason not to use them for tests? Would the fact the PVC has been heated already change anything in its structrue that could cause problems?

misjah

Re: Using old PVC blanks for test cuts

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:51 am

Unless you heat it to about 100c I don’t think so.

Ben

Re: Using old PVC blanks for test cuts

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:18 am

Hey There,
It's absolutely fine, I'm always using old "already cut" blanks to set up new productions. Some scrap that still have some uncut space on them.
I do that for years and never had a problem, you can even heat the blank without cutting them when you feel they're not perfectly flat.