CYBERSONIC CUTTING MACHINE

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

studiorp

Re: CYBERSONIC CUTTING MACHINE

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:26 am

The head wasn't Cybersonics, but Ortofon Dss green stereo series.

Sillitoe

Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:49 am

Interesting head suspension/ depth system using brushless motor...
I was going to try similar with something like a gopro steady-cam/ gimbal type setup, but decided to go the less tech, mechanical way. (No regrets).

Cheers
James

opcode66

Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:00 pm

The "machine polish on ebay" is fake. Doesn't work. So, I would say, the Cybersonic system has more stable design....
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

studiorp

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:15 am

Any real photo of this lathe exist ? I was curious see inside the parts...

studiorp

Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:16 am

I am speaking of Cybersonics lathe obviously, not polish machine...

cohearent

Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:06 am

Hi All,

I know this is an old thread, but just have to correct some errors. Although the Cybersonics was not the stalwart tank of a lathe that a Scully or Neumann is, 10s of millions of hit LPs were cut on them. There were a few on the West Coast. Both Future Disc and Precision Lacquer had them as primary lathes. So if you look on Discogs for those companies, anything they cut between 1982 to 1986 was probably cut on one.
It DID have a 14" table, and would cut a 14" lacquer (just like a VMS 80)
They were sold with Ortofon heads and electronics. Although a Neumann head could be used I never saw one with anything but an Ortofon.
It was designed by a guy named Tom Lippel, who was very bright. His whole concept was to bring disk cutting to more people by designing a "table top" system.
It had a very unusual preview system that required a 1/10 rev preview. His reason for this was almost any tape machine could be used by modifiying the head block instead of needing Studer PV deck or the like.
Yes they looked a little flimsy, but they worked pretty well. I think both companies fazed them out because of the fragility of the Ortofon heads, not the lathes.
As I mentioned on this forum previously, Future Disc was having to have the Ortofons rebuilt every three months!

Best,

Kev
Kevin Gray

jjgolden

Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:06 pm

For those that have Larry Boden's "Basic Disc Mastering" Second addition, there also some additional info on pages T1 - T4.