Stylus Shank Length Vs Sound Quality / Diamond Distortion

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Nigie

Stylus Shank Length Vs Sound Quality / Diamond Distortion

Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:16 am

I cut on PVC but sapphire styli don't last long so I have bought a diamond stylus. The surface hiss is pretty much zero now, but the quality of sound seems a little hollow compared with the sapphire, and it distorts in the treble area (not always the same frequency).
Should I expect this or is something wrong ? The sapphire cuts were perfect sound - no difference from a commercial pressed vinyl to most ears, but the diamond sounds 'boxy'.
I have had to adjust the EQ a lot to suit the diamond.
One thing worth mentioning is the length of shank is less on the diamond so it is closer to the head. Can someone tell me if this makes a difference to the sound, and what is likely to be causing my treble distortion. Sometimes its not purely distortion, its almost like a click sound.
I have to apply less weight to the diamond stylus to cut.

Its Ortofon GO541 electrics, AR Sugden head/lathe.

Thanks

Nige

JayDC

Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:05 pm

I've heard that a shorter shank could result in a higher dynamic range. Although, someone like cuttercollector needs to step in here and "drop some knowledge".

Amp Doc

Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:24 pm

In the grampian head manual a long shank styli gives a louder cut but cut the top end off at 12Khz a short shank gives a lower output but the frequency responce goes upto 16khz. So it seems that a shorter shank give better high end but lower output. It might be that when you use the diamond the click is the head at its limit of deviation if you are trying to cut at the same level as the sapphire.
!Work or Bang Time!

blight

Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:56 pm

even diamond doesn't last forever (of course)
:cry: :cry: :cry:

emorritt

Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 am

Where did you get the diamond stylus? I got two from Souri several years ago, but now he won't sell to whoever depending on his mood... :(

Amp Doc

Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:36 pm

I have seen that you can get diamond styli for sx heads from
www.apollomasters.de

They sell the vinylium styli.
!Work or Bang Time!

Nigie

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:26 am

I got it from AndyBee. I have found him a good guy to deal with.
He has offered to try the stylus on his cutter. However it has got damaged in the post so hopefully my compensation will buy me another.
It is the same stylus as the vynilium one in the link above.
Nigel