Not been on here for years!!!!

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Simon

Not been on here for years!!!!

Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:21 pm

Hi Guys and Girls,

I am very sorry for not being around for years, but I got totally pissed off with the whole cutting world and the price of blanks and the unfair trade that was going on. 

So I decided to take a break from the whole black art and let someone else put the development monies up. 

I have not searched the forums, but has it improved with the prices and supply ? 

I hope to be on here more often as I need to finish work on my dusty Presto 8DGV 

All the best 

Simon
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

bancho

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:28 am

Hey Simon!
Good to see you're back! :)
In the meantime nothing changed too much... the prices? quite the same ... You can buy the vms70 on eBay for $99.999 :lol:

Let us know for your dusty project also! Flo is making "budget" stereo cutterhead - zero series in production right now... ouyeaaaa :)

Simon

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 am

Anything happerned with plastic.

Supply of blanks and cutting needles
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

petermontg

Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:38 am

we have shank diamonds now and vinylike also blanks.

http://vinylike.de/

Simon

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:46 am

I cannot believe that the cost of Diamond Cutting Stylus has not come down in price 250 euros. I suppose it depends where they are being manufactured and the quality. Is this the only supplier?

petermontg

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:18 am

Simon wrote:I cannot believe that the cost of Diamond Cutting Stylus has not come down in price 250 euros. I suppose it depends where they are being manufactured and the quality. Is this the only supplier?
Yea, not much has changed am afraid. Shank's diamonds are same price. Bancho mentioned flos bits can be found through vinylike.

mossboss

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:01 pm

I really don't get it
It is not a mass market it is a very small niche area
The few people that have put in the effort are still there supplying their client base as they have for years
Souri as well as vinyl like and vinilium as well as Flo are still there
They have certainly put in the hard yards for what they have done for the cutting scene That's for sure
Prices have hardly moved up or down, all well known to any one who cared to look into it
Diamond styli!
Well forget about them
There is a whole host of hard luck stories here as well as many an example like "My stylus hit the Dust" etc etc etc
There is ample information posted here by various members as to the ins and outs of Diamond cutting styli as well as the reason why if they don't stay with a supplier who will back his product they will regret it
I know these freelance suppliers will jump on me But I would like to see their support as well as the warranty they offer for what they supply
So why would any one get "pissed off" if all its there in the open?
Not much has changed opportunist abound and the good old steady guys are all there
Besides I don't see a reason that it would change, most of these people have to have another source of income to put food on the table
Or is it the case as with many of the posters here they jump in take whatever advise or posts right or wrong that is freely available here and we never get to hear from them again until nasty posts about someones bad experience
To many examples already Why?
Well people think that with a presto or a Wilcox they will make a living
Is it not right that they need to get they facts clear first before jumping into it, do their home work and see the viability of it, just like any other venture
I would have thought so
Cheers
Chris

Simon

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:22 pm

My god Chris, no need to jump on me - I was thinking more about the entry level hobbits - not the professionals who live from their trade.