Siemens Micromaster 420

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

bancho

Siemens Micromaster 420

Thu May 12, 2011 11:12 am

so...
I have this Siemens Micromaster 420 for running the Presto's motor (US) here in the EU.
"Recently" I didn't run the machine... because of the job, tweaking the cutterhead... so it came to around one year the machine didn't run. Today I wanted to run it again but the platter didn't turn - because the motor was standing still.
I remember last time I was adjusting the speed for the platter there were some "programs" I think named P1001 and P1003 (for 33 and 45 rpm). Today I didn't find them...

Does anybody here use this controller for running the lathe motor? Is it possible that the controller resets after some time of not using it?

I do have the manual but there's so much of this I almost started to cry...
does anybody know any easy way to fix this? dr.dub?

andybee

Thu May 12, 2011 11:28 am

you can find the manual for the 420 in any language at siemens homepage

dubcutter89

Thu May 12, 2011 11:40 am

Hi!

I did it on YOUR machine when it was restored, but I can't remember how it was done...(remembering that i also asked andy back then ) :lol:

Hmm, yes I think there are only 2 or 3 things to set-up, something like "fixed speed on switch pos. x , and on pos. y" or so...

Guess you will have to read the manual...sorry

all the best
Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

drdub

Sat May 14, 2011 6:41 am

hi bancho,

lukas is your man, but i am afraid you have to go through the manual.

cheers mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

bancho

Sat May 14, 2011 7:36 am

yea I thought so.... I think the controller did a reset because when checking the basic settings there are no signs of Presto's motor (voltage, frequency, rpm, etc.)... oh well I guess I'll have to take a day off...
Thanx anyway!

bancho

Sat May 19, 2012 12:02 pm

I still have problems with Micromaster 420... I don't who to ask so I'm writing here as maybe someone knows.

I found out the microcontroller didn't reset as I first thought ... there are still settings of the frequencies for each platter speed. The problem is nothing works now: when the switch is on 33rpm position nothing happens, when it is on 45rpm position there is some hi frequency sound (10kHz) coming from the motor but still - it doesn't turn.
I first thought the machine reset because it was standing still for longer time but obviously that's not it.

The motor is Bodine 115V, 1.0A, H.P. 1/25, rpm 1500-1800, 50/60 Hz.
When I checked the microcontroller's motor settings there were some funny values (motor voltage 230V, 0.16W) but the frequency (60Hz) is correct. Now I don't know if I have to change this or not ... well I tried but there was no difference.
I basically know how to set fixed frequency ... and it is set but there is no action.
Does anybody here (or knows somebody) knows how to fix this? I think I'm getting crazy... :(

bancho

Sat May 19, 2012 12:21 pm

I also found out that output voltage is not correct:
# switch on 33rpm position - no output voltage on connections U,V,W
# switch on 45rpm position - 19V between U and V, 38V between V and W, 0V between U and W

... just if someone gets a clue ...