Venturi chip suction nozzle

This is where record cutters raise questions about cutting, and trade wisdom and experiment results. We love Scully, Neumann, Presto, & Rek-O-Kut lathes and Wilcox-Gay Recordios (among others). We are excited by the various modern pro and semi-pro systems, too, in production and development. We use strange, extinct disc-based dictation machines. And other stuff, too.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Serif

Venturi chip suction nozzle

Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:14 am

Dear Lathe Trolls, The Scully LS-76 manual shows a photo of an Ortofon DSS732 head mounted on the saddle with a thin long tube extending from the bottom of the head assembly and sticking into The Lathe's chip suction tube (which is wider in diameter). They call the narrower extension a Venturi tube, but it's acting basically as a nozzle for the main chip tube. I don't know if it's a true Venturi (with converging entrance and diverging exit), but that's what the manual calls it. No one I've asked all year has heard of one. However, the LS-76 recommends it be used for both Neumann and Ortofon floating type cutter heads.

Lo and behold, when watching the video, "Cutter Off," yesterday, I noticed that our French comrade was cutting with an (I think) SX-68 head which appears to have just such a tube attached to the head and going into the chip tube of his Neumann lathe. The Scully manual's picture is not clear, but the silhouette looks identical...

http://home.fuse.net/injanius/Venturi-nozzle.jpg

If you have any information, pictures, notes, or access to one for $ale, I'm definitely interested.

51 - three - fife fowar too - 35 fifty-fife

Thanks,
Andrew (aka Serif♬ / ➣dingbat)

gold

Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:49 pm

That is standard on the SX-68/74. There is a mount that holds it in place. The frame of the cutter head is tapped to accept a screw which holds the mount which in turn holds the tube in place.

I doubt the assembly would fit the Ortofon. Have you checked with the Ortofon guy to see if he has any that fit the head?

If he doesn't have them you will have to make one and figure out how to attach it to the head. The tube is the easy part. McMaster-Carr. Designing and making a mount may require some outside machining help.

Serif

Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:25 pm

Thanks Paul. What do you know, there's a single screw that I can't rule out as where it might attach. I was looking for two - one on each side. This little screw is in the middle of the underneath of the assembly, right in front of the stylus. Could be where a nozzle might attach.

Would you or someone with such a tube please post a photo of a close up of the whole thing?

Does Neumann call it a "venturi?" Does it use the flattened oval shape for the entrance? This is very interesting..

I also have written Mr. Rønne and will let everyone know how this shakes out.

Andrew