petermontg

Neumann Transport Mount schematics

Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Not sure if am referring to the right thing here, but am sure someone will correct.

Am looking for the electronic schematics for the part cutterhead plugs into on a Neumann lathe.

Would the cd on ebay have these schematics or would someone here just have what am looking for?

Regards
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

opcode66

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:11 pm

PM'd you a link to the Schematic. It is called the SA66 Cutterhead Suspension. If you are having problems with either your chanels not switching off/on or the electromagnet not kicking in when you are stopped and you lower the cutterhead then you have to replace one or more of the microswitches in the suspension. I have a source for them if you need to know where to order them from. One of the four is a high voltage mircoswitch for the electromagnet. The others are low power versions. There is not much in there so it is very easy to diagnose and fix issues in the suspesnion. Just be careful of the old wiring inside. And, when you remove your suspension make sure to keep it absolutely level so as no to spill the oil in you dash pot.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

petermontg

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:30 pm

opcode66 wrote:PM'd you a link to the Schematic. It is called the SA66 Cutterhead Suspension. If you are having problems with either your chanels not switching off/on or the electromagnet not kicking in when you are stopped and you lower the cutterhead then you have to replace one or more of the microswitches in the suspension. I have a source for them if you need to know where to order them from. One of the four is a high voltage mircoswitch for the electromagnet. The others are low power versions. There is not much in there so it is very easy to diagnose and fix issues in the suspesnion. Just be careful of the old wiring inside. And, when you remove your suspension make sure to keep it absolutely level so as no to spill the oil in you dash pot.
I just want to run cutting signal to Nuemann head, its not mounted onto a Neumann lathe.

I have a thinking i still need this box to sit between rack and head, am i correct?

Thanks for the PM, I'll grab that CD
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

opcode66

Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:42 pm

The suspension box also contains a servo that is used for depth control. So, not sure how you want to use the cutterhead.... But certainly you could use it without the original suspension. I've seen an SX74/66 mounted on other lathe bodies. There is nothing in the suspension box that affects the audio passing through it. Just wire connections. Some of the teath on the tuchel on the back are connected to the plugs on the front. There are send and return and ground for two channels of audio plus heating wire pos/neg and the feedback connections for the two channels.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

petermontg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 am

opcode66 wrote:The suspension box also contains a servo that is used for depth control. So, not sure how you want to use the cutterhead.... But certainly you could use it without the original suspension. I've seen an SX74/66 mounted on other lathe bodies. There is nothing in the suspension box that affects the audio passing through it. Just wire connections. Some of the teath on the tuchel on the back are connected to the plugs on the front. There are send and return and ground for two channels of audio plus heating wire pos/neg and the feedback connections for the two channels.
Thanks Opcode66, I have a better understanding of it now. I thought there was a circuit in there that I couldn't run the head without the SA66.

Thanks again.
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

opcode66

Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:09 pm

No, not possible. You need to have either a SAL or a VG rack. Two mono amps with feedback control and RIAA.

petermontg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:10 pm

I have to hunt down a suitable amp for the head, It's a ES59(mono). I think it was used with a VG1 rack from what i gather.

I was in touch with flo, so going to use his PCB for feedback which has the R.I.A.A built in. I might continue using a graphic though bypassing the inbuilt R.I.A.A

Am a little confused when people refer to SAL/VG. Is this just the entire rack or is it just a unit within rack?
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

opcode66

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Hmm. Does the ES59 have a feedback coil? Don't know.

SAL and VG are amp racks. It is literally a rack. Power supply on the bottom. Two mono amps with feedback and riaa. A monitoring rack with BSB's if you have them. The SAL racks had other things in them. VG's are a simpler version. The SAL can also have things like function generator, eliptical eq and VU meters.

Nickou

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi peter ,

I think you schould get in touch with Flozky
He is selling preamps cards for his new head project
here is the page in the forum
https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=2765&mforum=lathetrolls

I build a pair of cards , and they are sounding very nice with a sx74

with this card and a power amp , it should work with your head , ask him ...

opcode66

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Excellent suggestion!

petermontg

Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks opcode66, that clears up the confusion I had.

Nikou, I've been in touch with Flozki and he said his preamp works perfect with the ES59. I just mainly had some confusion over was there a circuit inside the SA66 that i needed. whenever I've seen a Neumann mounted onto another lathe(Scully), it was mounted with the SA66.

Thanks again guys. your wisdom is much appreciated.

Regards
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271

flozki

Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:25 pm

yes in addition you need a decent amp.
and RC network in series is necessary. and some kind of cutterhead protection...
at least a fuse.(0.5A Fast) ES59 is quite fragile. and not that easy to fix.
and spare part situation i guess is dramatic..
dont run it without any protection

unfortunately i have not finished yet the protection card layout....
it will be a simple but good working protection unit to replace the fuse solution....and showing the cutter current...

why you want to bypass internal riaa encoder. this riaa is damn good. waybetter than do it with your computer or graphic eq...

petermontg

Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:56 am

flozki wrote:yes in addition you need a decent amp.
and RC network in series is necessary. and some kind of cutterhead protection...
at least a fuse.(0.5A Fast) ES59 is quite fragile. and not that easy to fix.
and spare part situation i guess is dramatic..
dont run it without any protection

unfortunately i have not finished yet the protection card layout....
it will be a simple but good working protection unit to replace the fuse solution....and showing the cutter current...

why you want to bypass internal riaa encoder. this riaa is damn good. waybetter than do it with your computer or graphic eq...
Yea costly to have fix, Its price of new head to have fixed.
I will keep an eye for your protection card flo.
Getting it up and running is work in progress, shanks are another story.

I always gathered it was a better to have riaa on a graphic eq. I will take your word on preamp graphic.

Thanks for chiming in Flozki
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271