cymbalism

+ - wires on old presto 1c heads

Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:51 pm

Hello guys

I scored an old 1c head and want to line up a fuse breaker to it so as to not fry the head and was curious what wire was the pos and what is the neg since it's the cloth covered original wiring on it.

I may just take the old wire off and put new wire on it but wasn't sure which is which or if it matters on these.

Thanks in advance guys!
all the best!
- tommie 'plan 9' emmi
poly-cut lathe cuts / cymbalism recordings

JayDC

Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:43 am

with the cover off and head facing you, left post is neg.
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

markrob

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:12 am

HI,

The head coil has no polarity. You can put the fuse in either line with no ill effects. The metal case of the head is not tied to either side of the drive coil.

Mark

JayDC

Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:17 pm

markrob wrote:HI,
The metal case of the head is not tied to either side of the drive coil.
i don't think anyone said it was.

it is true tat its doesn't really matter, looking in the 1d manual it also shows the left post if the head is facing you as neg.

you need to remove the cover to see the posts. its where the coils and input wires connect.
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

markrob

Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:31 am

Hi Jay,

If you are a stickler for absolute polarity, there is a correct orientation of the drive coil leads. See this thread for more info.

https://lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?t=2573&mforum=lathetrolls

I'm not sure given the age of the Presto head if this is the case with connection diagram in the manual. At least given the info from the other post, you can now determine if your setup preserves absloute polarity with some simple tests. I know in my case, when I rewound my head, I didn't take care to insure how the coils were wound. I just made sure that the two were not bucking when installed back in the head. You would also need to determine iof the entire signal chain in you system is correct as well. It would be very difficult to tell if source material supplied to you for cutting has preserved polarity. Still, its something to consider.

As far as fusing goes, you can put the fuse in either line with no ill effects.

Mark