Serif

Neumann Digital Timer

Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:16 am

Dear SSoLT,
I am looking for information on the Digital Timer box that fits in the SP-272 shell. It has a label on the side which reads: DSU 74 930.02 ("Made in Germany" [sic] Wo ist der Buchstabe, W.?)
It has a couple of connectors on the back - one is a block type, and the other is a DIN type (like MIDI). I was wondering if the DIN connector is just for data or aux and the block is for power? Anyone know the power this thing wants?
Fwiw, I do have the Neumann-70-Man.pdf, but didn't see it listed... If it's there, please ping.. (:

Thanks,
Andrew

Serif

Re: Neumann Digital Timer

Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:45 am

Ok... These are hard to get info on. I found so far nothing on it in the Neumann manual CD-ROM from eBay. I have started a thread on it, here:

http://www.discolathe.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22

There is a triptych showing the nixie tube display.

It's definitely an AC device with on-board rectification and regulation. Mine is apparently strapped for 110vAC, as the nixies fully illuminate.

If you have scehmos, drawings, or lore, I'm all eyes...

servus,
Serif

opcode66

Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:06 am

I'm curious. What is the function of this box?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Serif

Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:12 pm

I found a blurb on the SP79C_Data-E.pdf (search with Metacrawler.com) which might be explaining this, although the one I have reads, DSU 74, and came in the SP 272 (disc cutter's bar-with-ash-tray).

"...A 5-digit LED production timer, automatically started
from the lathe functions, is a standard feature for program
timing during tape-to-disk transfer..."

The one I have is only a 4-digit module with decimal indication. Maybe they added another digit by 1979? Paul? You got schemos on this item from the storage in NY or out at Aquabogue? (RIP:ABG, Z"l)

servus,
Serif

gold

Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:11 pm

I know I have some info on it in my SP75 manual. Not sure I have the schematic. I can look. The unit I have had the guts ripped out and replaced with something home-brew. It had an AC plug on it. When I plugged it in it blew a breaker. Tried it once more after poking around inside with the same result. There was no power transformer so I wouldn't have used it anyway. A head scratcher.

Serif

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:51 am

Hi Paul,
Thanks a tonne for the schemos. Nice!

Andrew

Serif

Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 am

Now glowing, and counting, in Dietrich's old SP 272. Just had to fix the start/stop switch which had a broken internal contact. The thing seems to handle either 110 or 220 vAC indifferently, other than the intensity of the lamps. But the logic gets a steady 5V, either way. Cutter's egg timer...

- Serif

P. S., check out the steam punk green glow lamp on the Paul Gold designed EE77. Four channels of LF crossover on one switch, with lots of choices for where to start monoing the low end (for ex. 40, 80, 120, 160, etc...). Thanks, again, Paul. Again, nice!

gold

Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Serif wrote:Thanks, again, Paul.

I'm glad you got the timer going. It looks cool.

I'm getting better at the metalwork. Here is a compressor faceplate I did recently. Better dots, more accurate layout and better definition of the hand stamps. I've improved on the dots again by using flat end mills instead of drill point countersinks like below.

Serif

Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:47 am

Looks sweet, Paul. Is it four channels on one switch, again, or do I need two (or 4!) of those "beauts"?

- Andrew

gold

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:23 am

Yes, four channels. It's a Pico compressor so it's not available anymore. Couldn't be made for profit anyway. Non commercial use only. You got his boards in the EE. There sure wasn't profit in that, although I didn't plan it that way.

leo gonzalez

Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:49 pm

gold wrote:

I'm glad you got the timer going. It looks cool.

I'm getting better at the metalwork. Here is a compressor faceplate I did recently. Better dots, more accurate layout and better definition of the hand stamps. I've improved on the dots again by using flat end mills instead of drill point countersinks like below.
nice!

are you using a drill press with regular bit?

i've been getting good results with this:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/browse/drill-bits/unibit-step-drills

good for thin panels at least, i havent tried them on thicker metal.

those dots are impressive!

gold

Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:39 pm

leo gonzalez wrote: are you using a drill press with regular bit?
That panel was layout was done by hand with a hand drill except for the meter cut out which I did on my Taig micro mill. Nothing on the panel was done with a twist drill. I had templates made for the dots out of hardened tool steel. I use a step bit for the push button holes. I used a #0 drill point countersink for the dots but I've switched to using flat end mills. Andrew's dots were done with a twist drill.

I broke down my drill press when I got my mill. I am as accurate as my drill press. I've had a few drill presses and they all have a lot of runout. If the hole needs to be perfectly round or I need a cut out use the mill.

leo gonzalez

Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:43 pm

gold wrote:I broke down my drill press when I got my mill. I am as accurate as my drill press. I've had a few drill presses and they all have a lot of runout. If the hole needs to be perfectly round or I need a cut out use the mill.
that sucks, blown motor? were you press drilling on thin aluminum when that happened? i dont know why but it seems drill presses dont like alu... they call it chatter or something when the drill belt starts vibrating and putting stress on the motor?

enjoying this thread/topic here.

gold

Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 pm

I have a floor standing radial arm drill press. I meant that I took it apart and am storing it. I didn't break it.

leo gonzalez

Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:54 am

gold wrote:I meant that I took it apart and am storing it. I didn't break it.
whew! good to hear that!

thanks for sharing your metal working technische!

is the taig mill a good option to cut holes other than standard circles?
is it manually operated or does it work like a pre programmed cnc machines?

L

gold

Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 pm

leo gonzalez wrote: is the taig mill a good option to cut holes other than standard circles?
is it manually operated or does it work like a pre programmed cnc machines?
I used the Taig to do the rectangular cutout for the meter. It's actually the cleanest cut although you can't see it. I have it configured as a manual mill. You can automate it with CNC control. I plan on automating it eventually. The spindle is fast enough to engrave with. That's one of the main reasons I picked the Taig.

Since I just started working with metal about two years ago and I don't have experience with graphics software, I figured starting manually was the way to go. I wanted to get a feel for the materials and layout techniques. That way when I automate it I'll have a better feel for when a problem has to do with hardware or software.