drdub

Lyrec Synchronous Motor SM 8/3 A

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:16 pm

hi,

i uploaded the manual and schematics for the lyrec motor.
might be useful for someone

heres the link : www.drdub.com/pix_extern/lyrec_sm8-3a.zip

++cheers mex
Last edited by drdub on Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

emorritt

Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:00 am

Hmmm... tried link and got told "this site was not found on our server"

Internet

Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Don't work...should be nice if you could upload again :)

cuttercollector

Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:28 pm

As I actually have one of these to power the Scully I am trying to put back into service, it would be nice to see these.
When I get past your basic site drdub.com and just try to hack it to /pix/
without the Lyrec part, it says "verboten" - well actually - forbidden :-)

drdub

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:43 am

ooops sorry,

here's the correct link:

www.drdub.com/pix_extern/lyrec_sm8-3a.zip

sorry for the confusion

mex
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

Internet

Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:41 pm

cuttercollector

Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:28 pm

thanks !

Aussie0zborn

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:40 am

Well done - thanks.

Cutterwoller

Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:20 pm

To the man with lyrec on a scully. The lyrec motor was designed to be used on the lyrec lathe. And inorder for the lyrec motor to rotate happily, it relies on a heavy weight. The lyrec lathe had a turntable 4 inches of solid brass. I have used a lyrec motor on a scully and just about got away with it considering the scully turntable is not heavy atall. So, when cutting 78, it is much more stable than 33 (and not for the right reasons). And when I tryed half speed, it just stuttered and wouldnt turn properly, even at half 78.

I have also got away with a lyrec motor on a presto 8DG and at 33, there is a considerable amount of wow, you can notice this on music that was cut on it.

The reason:

The lyrec motor is built up of many pole pieces and if the flywheel (turntable) is not keeping it going, the motor sticks to the pole pieces, and thats the pattern you can get on the disk.

To test it out. Take it to extremes. disconect the motor from everything and run it and you will see it struggles alot to turn. Try it if you don't believe me!

There has even been this problem on Neumann lathes where if there is to much verticle cutting going on, it can slow down the turntable. This is why they started to put JVC motors and all sorts of crap on the neumann lathes.

Don't get me wrong the Lyrec motor is very good, it just that it was designed to rotate 4 inches of solid brass, and it runs like a beauty when it is!

Lewis

emorritt

Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:29 pm

Lewis I drive one of my Scully's with a Lyrec motor and it works fine. I do have to 'help' it get started, but once it stabilizes it's just that - VERY stable speed wise. It might be that mine also has a heavy oil bearing that is used to drive the TT shaft. Looks like some sort of adapter specifically for driving the Scully table with a Lyrec. I've never noticed a pattern like you mentioned - the Lyrec's really sort of like a very early stepper motor, specific functions/speeds built into the motor through multi-segmented design...

cuttercollector

Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:35 pm

As with all AC motors, the capactors might be an issue.
When my friend's unit (that I now have) was last up and running, I know there was an issue with either start or run caps and some were replaced.
But mine has a big flywheel, larger and heavier than the turntable, below the deck on it's own bearing. I guess I thought they all had that.

motorino

Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:23 pm

after look the schematics i believe where its the possible problem

all the small three-phase asincronous motors (reluctance variable too ;) can run with mono-phase current, needs a specific condenser, but run with a lower performance, start fails and noise

who have three-phase conexion?

motorino

Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:56 am

change the condenser for a new one, its other posibility

this type of motor its very special, no other aplication, i ask to different and old profesionals "i never look like this" only some rotary tables for mecanizing centers, big brusless multipole dc motors, very expensive

or the new direct drive LG washing machine :D

Nickou

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:26 pm

Hi ,

Did somebody build a module to use thsi motor at half speed ?
thanks
Yann

Cutterwoller

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:36 pm

Yes, Lyrec did. I think they only made one for cutting half speed of 33 1/3. I don't think they made one intended for cutting half of 45 or 78. The electronics is the same tho, so you could hook the device up to the different tappings on the side of the motor.

You can easily make one your self. I did it. All you need is two diodes. I have the schematics of how they did it.

L

Nickou

Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:48 pm

yes , If you have that , I will be very please to see and try it ....:)

Actualy I do it with a altivar ATV 11 wich is a abble to build 25 Hz ac , but ... I d like to try somthing else
Many thanks
Yann

Cutterwoller

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:30 pm

Ok, send me a private message and I can email you with some Lyrec shit. I just looked, thier adaptor was intended for use for half 45 and 78.

L

leo gonzalez

Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:06 pm

dr dub. thanks for the prints!

scully-westrex-vinylium-lyrec here too.
having same issues here. noticed flutter and wow on some cuts.

after a couple of observations made last week im also asking myself if:

- vertical depth and disk suction on the TT might lead to similar problems as well and also, if too much chip suction power can be another source of groove modulation (like pulling to hard the chip or the noise out of the chip tube). im getting a variac this week too experiment with different suction power. suction noise leading to frequency modulation perhaps?

- advance ball and oil thickness. another potential cocktail for instant lyrec hangover. right oil thickness = good recipe for constant lyrec rotation.
if oil too thick the advance ball can carve a groove too.

anyway, also thinking that there might be other sources for flutter independently from the lyrec's performance.

we know that the lyrec needs extra weight too to run with scullys, i think it would be great if we can find out what it's the exact weight (in pounds or kilos) that it needs besides the scully tt.

I also have that huge brass flywheel with a bearing. on mine the rubber bushing on the motor frame are too old and need to be replaced. maybe another source of headache.

regards,
leandro

mossboss

Source of troubles

Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:47 pm

Leandro
about 80-90 Volts on the variac if you are on 220-240 V 50hz is about right for suction
A tube in a tube ie a small diameter tube mounted on the head inserted about 10-20 mm in a larger tube without touching it at all Make sure the larger tube has enough diameter so the smaller tube does not touch it when you drop the head It works well It isolates the head from this source of trouble
Cheers

mossboss

Suction Tube

Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:33 pm

Leandro
Have you tried to pick up the chip from the front rather than the back of the cutting stylus?
Most of the cutters if not all have the pick up tube at the side or towards the rear of the cutter The stylii are finished so as to accomodate that with a slight angle at the front so as to throw the chip on the right hand side of the stylus looking at the face so it can be picked up
There was a patent taken out in Japan on the basis that a different stylus finish angle would "roll" the chip in front of the cutting stylus and was sucked up from the front The patent claimed other benefits as well along the lines of leading and trailing echoes being minimised due to the finishing angles and shape as well as the burnishing face May be you can have a go in your set up Just a thought
Cheers