apoklis

laptop to gotham ohm transformer Question

Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:02 am

So I have a question , I’m setting up the Gotham/Grampian would like to drive it straight from a laptop headphone. The lowest setting on the input of the Gotham is 150/600 ohms balanced or unbalanced and input required is 16 dbm to + 4 dbm for matching input. Is there a transformer out there to do this ? I don’t know the output imp of the laptop. I assume 8 ohm as it a laptop headphone output. If you could point me in a direction to look , I would appreciate it .Thank you

dubcutter89

Re: laptop to gotham ohm transformer Question

Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:50 am

Hi Al!

I don't have a Gotham rig, but I would do a few things:
- DON'T use the headphone out, it is just bad. Any of the modern 2ch usb interfaces for 100$ or less will give you satisfying results. The Gotham deserves nice sound!
- From what I see, the 600 Ohms Input should be fine. So you could wire a XLR hot / cold to the input terminals 2 / 5. Bridge 3 & 4 with a wire. 7 is gnd.
- Then just test it. If you get good signals everything is good. And if it is way off then maybe an alternative wiring is needed.

Cheers
Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

apoklis

Re: laptop to gotham ohm transformer Question

Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:45 pm

Yep, I knew I was going off the rails and over thinking it when i started thinking about transformers. Thank you . ill just connect it with a DAC from the laptop Thank you for looking at it. A second set of eyes definily helped. Al