Emory Cook

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

audiosteam

Emory Cook

Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:29 am

There's some info about Mr. Cook and his work scattered in the forum. I'd like to make this thread to gather all things Emory Cook, it'll be nicer to go throught the data and constitute a tribute. Documents, archives, links, stories...
Thomas and Martha Cook donated a considerable amount of material including recordings, notes and hardware in 1990. Some are available some need to be requested.
I shared on this thread some documents that were gathered from the Smithsonian Institution in 2019. Since then their website was updated making it easier to navigate and search + some documents were added.
I recently requested access to the interviews conducted before the acquisition of Cooks Labs by the Smithsonian. The files are only available upon request but I guess that it's ok to share them here with a link to the orginal page.
I'm adding two PDFs compiled directly from the Ralph Rinzler Folklife Archives and Collections. Terms and policies available here.
Link to the full collection here.

Note that it's now possible to listen and buy recordings from Smithsonian Folkways Recordings. They got 1500+ references by Cook on their catalog. This page is a goldmine for old and hard to find recordings.