Is Caruso head ?

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

lucien

Re: Is Caruso head ?

Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:56 am

Yeah seems to be a caruso head.

For those who don't speak french and to sum up the first lines : it talks about someone from Star Wax (paper about DJ culture, cratediggin...etc http://starwaxmag.com/ ) who went at DK mastering for an interview that will be published in the next number. It seems that the article will focus on a new cutter head coming from Switzerland :wink:

lucien

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:35 am

My bad I didn't see the pictures in this blog were posted in May.

One article has already been published page 8 of the PDF here (summer 2013) : http://starwaxmag.com/wp-content/themes/starwaxmag/images/illustrations/magazine/SW27_pdf_42p_Ldef01.pdf

It introduces Hervé de Kéroullas (DK mastering engineer) , the Caruso head, Flo Kaufmann. It briefly explains Neumann SX74 dependency problem and the need for a new cutterhead.

Finally it says that DK mastering engineer has a prototype and he will conduct tests with different setups and study the results.

EmAtChapterV

Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:55 am

A silly question from someone who only took high-school French: who decides that Neumann heads are female and Caruso heads are male? I've always wondered about that: "Hey, I've just invented something... is it a boy or a girl?"

lucien

Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:00 am

Haha it's far from being a silly question. I guess there is no straight answer.

In the article, they ask themselves if they have to say "un burin de gravure" or "une tête de gravure" regarding cutting heads in general. Personally, "un burin" (chisel) makes me think of a stone carving tool so I would rather use "une tête" (head) instead. By the way, it's closer to the English word.

Then regarding the word "Caruso" I would decide that it's male too. Due to the reference to the opera singer, using female grammatical form would sound very effeminate when used without any other words.

I think when you create something and have to decide if it's a boy or a girl you need to take into account a lot of different things. I don't know if there is a general rule. It's probably based on common sense and personal preferences :)

flozki

Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 pm

hmm,.well what a question.
caruso?
carusa?
can it be a crossdresser? or just a neutrum?
well the connectorblock is male. the torquetube has a hole. as long as there is no stylus.hmmm.
not easy to answer...

in the printed magazin they made some confusion and wrote "CURASO" for about 3 times.
this gives even more space for speculation.

number of built heads increases slowly. 3 just one step before delivery. i hope i find myself time
to find out the qualities independent of being male or female.

happy cross-cut.
f.

mossboss

Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:10 pm

Argh the French journalists, no, they are not different than any of the other journo's in the world, they all seem to try to put a twist to the story for god only knows the reason why
Cheers
Chris