6N045 Timer replacement

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

emorritt

6N045 Timer replacement

Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:56 pm

In the Westrex 1567D power supply there's a time-delay tube relay that, well, just doesn't work very well now and then. I was wondering if anyone knew if there's a CMOS 9 pin mini timer (P&B, Magnecraft, etc.) that would fit in the socket and be a sort of 'direct replacement' for the tube? Reason I'm asking is I have several "NOS" (yeah...) 6N045's that I've swapped out and in one PS it works perfectly but of the rest I have that I've tried in the other PS, they have trouble 'kicking in' the latch relay for the plate voltage operation. It *works* but is shaky at best. It's getting the correct operating voltage, checked for loose/bad wiring, checked the socket, etc. but waiting for a coil to heat up and bend a metal strip is kind of silly when there is a more modern way... I'm guessing I'll have to break down and install a standard timer relay but just in case, I'm posting to see if anyone knows of a modern direct replacement - sort of like the Sarkes Tarzian rectifier for the 5U4 tube. I've combed Mouser and several other component/industrial control distributors but so far haven't seen anything that would work. Anybody seen a 9-pin solid state timer relay that would fit a tube socket??

cuttercollector

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:10 pm

If I remember my Amperite time delay relay nomenclature correctly that would be a 6 Volt, Normally Open, 45 second time delay relay. I do not know of a drop in replacement. You would need some counter circuit using perhaps a 555 timer that would run on 6V. and after a 45 second time constant, close some sort of small relay of it's own through driving a transistor to drive the relay coil and that would take the place of the internal contacts in the time delay relay.
Or perhaps there is another better way to do the whole thing.

markrob

Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:52 pm

Hi,

This might work for you.

http://www.ics-timers.com/op4142.html

These are octal base time delay relays. They don't come in 6 Volt versions. However, they are available as 120VAC input, so you could re-wire the octal socket to supply the AC mains to the relay control inputs and get your delay. You may also have to re-wire the contact pins as I doubt they are the same as the old unit. This style is available from many suppliers including Grainger. The other worry is using these for switching HV DC B+. Not sure how well these contacts will work for this application. A call to the manufacturer(s) should answer that.

Mark

emorritt

Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:04 pm

That's exactly what it is/does. I figured there probably wouldn't be an easy "drop in" replacement but you never know.

emorritt

Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:22 pm

Thanks for the suggestion markrob. I'd never heard of ICS; the only big relay manufacturers I knew of were Potter & Brumfield and Magnacraft. I've thought about tying it in with the power switch and just using a 110-120 volt unit. Seems there isn't much call for 6VAC relays of any kind. I'd just mount an octal relay socket because the existing socket is for a standard 9 pin vacuum tube - the only other connection is the normally open contact that once the time runs out it closes and latches the other relay for the B+.

markrob

Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Hi,

Sorry, I thought the unit used an octal base. If you have the room, adding a surface mouted octal relay socket probably makes the most sense. There are no shortage of these units available from most of the major relay vendors.

Mark