Video : Alpha Toolex Manual Presses in Jamaica

A spot for keeping track of especially cool (informative, fun) videos, photos, scans and other links about record cutting. (You can post them in other sections. Eventually they may end up here.) NOTE: Please put *Circuits, Schematics and Manuals* in the section with that name.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Aussie0zborn

Video : Alpha Toolex Manual Presses in Jamaica

Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:32 am

Alpha Toolex manual presses in Jamaica...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIFDCdGopNg&feature=related

Note there are no clamping rings holding the stampers down - probably using heat-sensitive glue to hold them down.

Centre pins are in bad condition - listen to the sound the record makes when its being removed from the press. Ouch!! There shoulld be no sound at all.

Alpha Toolex extruder is missing he pattie-maker and reciprocating table that feeds the vinyl pattie (US: "biscuit") alternately to each press.

mossboss

Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:50 am

Rotary table on the extromat I think I have the only one that is still original that functions as it should
Never seen another one where all the standard Alpha bits and pieces have not been removed and turfed out
I was detemined to get it working as it should and let me say this Its not that good a machine
Admitedly it was desingned and built a long time ago
I am sure back in those days it would have been a marvelous jigger to have
Damn complex mechanism with six micro switches and 4 mag sensors 3 air rams with a crude PCB board and an unobtainable original relay that is an absolute marvel in its function
The concept is great The functionality is far from satisfactory
Having spend many hours rewiring it new contactors relays micros and a replacement of that tricky relay that is about 15 times in size as the original Alpha one The machine is not liked by any of the operators so it is the old steam heated Fabel that does all the work while the Extromat gathers dust
Every time I suggest they should be using it they tell me
Well you stand there and deal with that
It misses every now and than and they hated
The turntable does not quite get home the extruder starts and it blows off all of the 3 x 8 mm allen screws clean off the top of the turntable fixture
The amount of pvc out of it covers every damn thing under there as there is nothing to tell it to stop Big mess to clean up and yoou need to be real fast so the stuff don't get cold
Oh If it is not quite up to temp it than does a better job it blows off 6 x 10 mm allen screws clean off the top of the barrel as well as the turntable
A days work to get it sorted out
Great leave it gather dust or take all that crap off and have it open mouthed may be with the patty former ala 1202
Seen at least 6 of them all modified as such and they work fine
This one on the video is a bit crude but it seems like it makes a record
Not everything that Alpha made was flowless the Extromat falls as one of the less succesful items out of that factory
Cheers
Chris

d1rk

Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:12 am

The way he is putting the vinyl into the press makes me laugh.

lol...

dietrich10

Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:53 pm

yeah love the way he throws the 'vinyl dump' onto the press
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

mossboss

Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:41 pm

It works
If you look carefully he turns it into a ball with his hands very quickly
Need the glove for that at 140-150 C
He's got good rythm this guy
They have speeded up the video by a good margin which I suspect is the case here
It takes about 15-18 seconds to push out a 150 gram puck out of one of those baby's if it is 100%
A 35-40 second cycle is about right for one of those presses and he does a few in the 1min 30 second video
I doubt if this setup is anywhere near optimum
Its a good video clip any way
Cheers
Chris

d1rk

Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:14 am

Yes! thats what i was thinking you get into a groove and do the same steps the same way. Kind of like insertion of vinyl into jackets or anything you have to do over and over to a record. Like STICKERING or rubber stamping!

Aussie0zborn

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 am

Spot on. The video is heavily edited so it looks like they are working faster than they actually are.

mossboss

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:16 am

If one can go like this for 8 hours hey
He'll be doing them faster than the fastest auto press ever around
Chris

maniman

Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:25 am

Fast ? Weed ? Jamaica ? Reggae ? , whats the infiltrate word ? He he , In Jamaica hares even go fast.
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

mossboss

Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:38 am

I thought weed slows people down man Are you sure its not the sniffing stuff :wink:
Cheers
Chris

maniman

Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:16 am

Heheh , Ohhh that's the reason of that guys good working rhythm ...... I should imagine... maybe the guys don't take their green breakfast this time ehehe.

Anyway no one of both are really good practices in a place with tones of weight , high degrees and pressures , I guess hurt is the only thing that can happen.

Awesome rhythm , this is happiness for me , not go to a f**** office 8 hours at day dead boring front a screen , definetly I will leave this job soon , he he , hope someone gives me the opportunity of be near presses when that occurs hehehe.

Cheers
Very Busy days , some cutting works at least , soon online again

We must promote the use and abuse of vinyl records.

Aussie0zborn

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:27 pm

The stampers are not held down by the usual clamping rings - in fact there are no clamping rings at all. These stampers are held down with heat sensitive glue. Notice the stamper buckling at 0:53 as the glue melts.