Coney Island Reggae Soundsystem Beach Parties

If you are a performer, list shows or tours here. If you know of concerts, meetings or conventions that might appeal to other members, list 'em here. Don't be shy, we are interested!

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

carter

Coney Island Reggae Soundsystem Beach Parties

Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:03 pm

http://soundliberation.org/2011/07/coney-island-reggae-party-july-17th/

This a reggae event at Coney Island in Brooklyn this coming Sunday, July 17 (and also again on August 14). I'll probably play one or two things I've cut. One of the other deejays is a producer who is, among other things, an old time Jamaican dubplate cutter. All of the deejays for the day will play from vinyl.

Coney Island Reggae Soundsystem Beach Party

WKCR’s Eastern Standard Time and the Sound Liberation Front have joined forces again to present the 2011 season of the Coney Island Reggae Beach Party series, bringing the enormously influential culture of Jamaican sound systems back to the Coney Island Boardwalk on Sunday, July 17.

Building on the success of last year’s inaugural season, the free events will begin at 2 p.m. and last until sunset, and will feature live DJs, special guest artists, and fun activities for the whole family. This year the parties will take place at a new location directly on the beach at W. 19th Street (near the iconic red tower).

Each event will feature an all-star lineup of music selectors and guest vocalists curated by WKCR host Carter Van Pelt. Some notable talents who performed at last year’s events include dancehall legends Johnny Osbourne, Carlton Livingston, and Mikey Jarrett; seminal NYC sound system Sir Tommy’s; and, legendary record producer Clive Chin.

The final Coney Island Reggae Beach Party of the season will be at the same location on Sunday, August 14th.

subkontrabob

Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Sounds lovely! What kind of soundsystem (as in public address) will be set up? :P

carter

Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am

Subkontrabob,

The system belongs to a friend of mine and I don't know all the details. He built most of the boxes himself and I don't remember what kind of amps he has. We used two different preamps because one of the selectors wanted to play through his old handbuilt tube preamp. Here is a photo of the columns going up:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47154201@N05/5968621086/in/set-72157627264920900/