Apprenticeship / Internship

Links to helpful record-lathe-oriented services (repair, equipment) and their websites.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dylanfly

Apprenticeship / Internship

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:07 am

Hello,
My name is Dylan Fleischut. Ever since I was able to hear, I knew that I wanted to make music, as time went on I began to realize that instruments are fun, and audio engineering is fun, but not all of what I really want. I really want to get into record lathing, pressing, mastering and the whole process. I have been going to school for audio engineering at The New England School Of Communications. At first it seemed great, but over time things have changed, and so has my path. I rediscovered my love for vinyl finding all kinds of cool records at yard sales and small record shops and I realized, I would love to be able to cut records in a studio, or anywhere. Just to learn. I have been looking for a school that teaches record cutting, and I cant find a single one. Is there any way I can come to be an apprentice/intern ? I really want to cut records, I love the natural vibration, and the warmth that they have. Maybe you can help my dream come true and help me learn. I have years of live audio experience, and have taken studio audio classes here. I am getting my user certification for protools this semester and that will allow me to help run protools in a studio session if need be. I just really want to learn, and be in a professional environment, and get into the record cutting industry. Please email me back if you have any questions, or think that this would be possible.

Thank you,
Dylan Fleischut

Aussie0zborn

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 am

Welcome to the forum. Your best bet is to get an internship somewhere. There never has been a course for disc cutters - traditionally it was a role one would work their way in to. These days, all lathes are owner/operated by people who have the same passion as you so an internship would be your best bet. Good luck.

tragwag

Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:39 pm

hey Dylan!

I just finished an internship at Complete Mastering in Bethel, CT.
Complete was really the only place that would accept an intern, most all of the studios cutting records now a days are one man operations with no space or work flow for an intern.

I would really suggest you do a bit more reading into the physics, electronics, and general audio knowledge needed to be a cutting engineer.
Just being protools certified won't really be enough.

I just graduated from 4 years of audio school at UMass Lowell's sound recording technology department, and used that knowledge to successfully run some Presto 6N lathes. Every day I'm faced with a new challenge in listening, testing, and tweaking my system to sound better and better.
I would not be anywhere near as informed of an engineer without the knowledge I learned in all my years of school.

This is a great place to start picking up some info and learning the needs of record cutting engineers, check out the lathe trolls wiki for the most basic information: http://lathetrolls.pbworks.com/w/page/22959575/The%20Secret%20Society%20of%20Lathe%20Trolls
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Angus McCarthy

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:02 am

Welcome, Dylan!

I started out in much the same direction you have, and eventually made the connection between my love of records and creating them. Session recording knowledge is always useful, but a whole lot doesn't come into play in disc mastering. It's a different knowledge set all its own, and a lot more physical. Good luck in finding an intern/apprenticeship and good on you! Precious few students would make the effort to completely learn the craft and continue the art.