20 'cuts' query (uk?)

Links to helpful record-lathe-oriented services (repair, equipment) and their websites.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

graph

20 'cuts' query (uk?)

Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:32 pm

hi guys.

i've been thinking about having some music (my own/my brothers) cut onto 20 or 25 plates, 10" or possibly 12".

i'd be looking for a service who could provide a small run of just 20/25 cuts that would cost the right price at the best quality.

music style is likely to be drum & bass/dnb. length of track per side would be around 6 minutes max at a guess (not sure if both plate sides will be required). .wav or c.d. could be provided as the master.

i suppose i might be limited to cutters in the u.k. unless theres a viable option from abroad, i dont exactly know what might be best for me on that side of things.

this is really just an honest enquiry into what is available if/when the afore mentioned need could arise.

cheers.

graph

Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:23 am

ok so it seems that perhaps either there isnt a service suitable for my requirment or perhaps ive kinda been ignored (i dont know?)...

it was shortly after i posted this thread that i noticed another user of lathe trolls mentioning in his own thread something about problems with an oversea client - very unfortunate or in the very least annoying situation it looks like, hope that turned out ok for the cutter.

but anyhow i believe that i am almost fully aware of what to expect of a service/cutter but what was touched on in the 'annoyin client' thread about the advice 'send 1 cut 1st to client see what they think' - i would be cool with that and totally agree.

i do feel a bit 'gutted' that so far it seems i wont have my or my bro's music cut to a 10"/12" 'vinyl' medium in very small quantity (even 10 units would be great).

i had a demo cut from souri (v.r.) of my bro's tune, it was only a 4.15 length test cut but i have to say that level of quality was brilliant if you ask me, im not hardcore audiophile expert but it certainly did the job in the very least, souris v.r. machine.

if there is any 'cutter services' (europe/us) reading this post that could offer a test cut (for a fee ofcourse/paypal?) or maybe just point me in some directions i would very much appreciate it - if not then tuff luck me i guess, what can i do!!?

all the best, cheers.

dubcutter89

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:08 am

hey,
i guess the trolls forum should be the right place to find a service that suits you...

check out services->list of confirmed disc cutting studios

they are all over the world and you should be able to find one
but services differ in some things:

master records are mostly for pressing purposes, or if you like the best
sounding record with the disadvantage of more record-wear.
these are also called (lacquer)dubplates (expensive)

vinyl dubplates (cut on souri's vr or some custom modded gear) are
also good sounding, and just as durable as normal records. Best for
DJing (and also more affordable than masters)

lathe cuts are records (afaik) with no definition (by the meaning of
material used or...whatever). most of them are made on cheaper
equipment (mostly mono). I can't tell you what sound quality is.
some are quite good, and some are bad... but they are cheap.

hope this helps you a little

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

piaptk

Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Are you looking for lacquer cuts or poly cuts?

I can do lacquer cuts (mono) or laserdisc cuts (light amount of surface noise and probably minor squashing of certain frequencies, fine for home listening, probably not ideal for playing at clubs).

Remember that lacquer blanks, even "dubs" are not cheap. $12-15 for a 10" if I remember right. And that's not including cutting.

If you want poly cuts, I still recommend Peter King. Last time I talked to him, his business had dropped off (because of all the US cutting services that popped up, which have now all either bitten the dust or gotten so far behind they aren't taking orders), so he can probably do them for you with a reasonable turnaround time and reasonable price.

graph

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:10 am

hey guys, yh i believe im almost fully familiar with the all sorts of different types of 'plates' that can be/are cut in realtime (thanx to this site and its users, cheers).

i guess i could have been more clearer in my enquiry, but yh basically im just after only a max 10 cuts; so just on the 1 side of the blank. i'm definitely not after laquer plates/acetates.

what im after i suppose is only anything similar/the same as what the v.r./kingston can produce (on their respective suitable medium/poly yes?). i would want the end product to be listened at home and maybe played in clubs.

i'll be playing the democut souri sent me at a club shortly, so should perhaps have a better idea exactly on what the v.r. cut is like in a 'club enviroment', listening at home im confident it will be fine there, no probs (thinkin about it, i think its a stereo cut as the 'master' c.d./source was stereo).

i'd be willing to pay out for a demo/1st cut so long as a final total quote; including the then further 9 cuts, can be provided and im happy to pay; before i do commit/go ahead and pay for the demo/1st cut (hope that all makes sense!).

if 10 is too many/too costly then perhaps only 5 should be considered, so a quote on either 5 or 10 (mono/stereo - any price diff?) cuts would be great if available.

thanks for you info/input guys, cheers.

opcode66

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:59 pm

If you want to buy me a diamond stylus I'll do the cuts for you. Way better results than with Souri's. My test disc from him had major flutter in it. During a key stab on a piano sound you can hear the frequency wobble significantly. I can't imagine trying to beat match that record to another. The bpm drifts constantly over the entire track due to the flutter.

I cut plastic with a Neumann. My last diamond stylus bit the dust. And, I just can't see buying anohter at $350 right now. I have 10" and 12" black Makrolon blanks. But, no sytlus...
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

petermontg

Re: 20 'cuts' query (uk?)

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:03 am

graph wrote:hi guys.

i've been thinking about having some music (my own/my brothers) cut onto 20 or 25 plates, 10" or possibly 12".

i'd be looking for a service who could provide a small run of just 20/25 cuts that would cost the right price at the best quality.

music style is likely to be drum & bass/dnb. length of track per side would be around 6 minutes max at a guess (not sure if both plate sides will be required). .wav or c.d. could be provided as the master.

i suppose i might be limited to cutters in the u.k. unless theres a viable option from abroad, i dont exactly know what might be best for me on that side of things.

this is really just an honest enquiry into what is available if/when the afore mentioned need could arise.

cheers.
Hi Graph

Am in Ireland cutting on 6n with audax mono head,

I can do your 10 x 10" on clear poly, minus center labels if intertested send me a track and ill send you back a free sample.

cutterheadrecords(at)gmail(dot)com

It will be end of month by the time i get round to you, hope its not a problem

Regards
Peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

graph

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:11 pm

opcode, cool man, i hear ya.. thanx for your info, always appreciated.

pete! your kind & amazing offer is.. well, simply amazing! cheers. how can i refuse. i'll send a similar type 'dance' tune that souri recieved (20hz - 18khz - or wd u prefer smthin with more of a cut freq. range either end?) and p&p i'll gladly pay ofcourse (paypal ok?)

i'll will mail you with .wav/320mp3 (??) attatchment soon; unless perhaps you do wish to discuss any freq 'trimmin'(?). im easy, no rush.

thanks again, best regards.

mossboss

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:27 am

opcode66 wrote: I cut plastic with a Neumann. My last diamond stylus bit the dust. And, I just can't see buying anohter at $350 right now. I have 10" and 12" black Makrolon blanks. But, no sytlus...
Hey Todd and any one else here
Dont buy any more DIAMONDS you are wasting your hard earned money
Until someone comes up with a similar testing system prior to making a diamond stylus as it was and still is done with DMM styli it will be total guess or at best pot luck
It hurts me to read these posts of broken styli after a few cuts at the cost of $350
Cheers
Chris

petermontg

Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 am

graph wrote:opcode, cool man, i hear ya.. thanx for your info, always appreciated.

pete! your kind & amazing offer is.. well, simply amazing! cheers. how can i refuse. i'll send a similar type 'dance' tune that souri recieved (20hz - 18khz - or wd u prefer smthin with more of a cut freq. range either end?) and p&p i'll gladly pay ofcourse (paypal ok?)

i'll will mail you with .wav/320mp3 (??) attatchment soon; unless perhaps you do wish to discuss any freq 'trimmin'(?). im easy, no rush.

thanks again, best regards.

no need to trim anything, just make sure you send me .wav file, postage is only 2E, dont worry about it, am sure paypal will take that in fees anyhoot.

regards
peter
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

MEGAMIKE

Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:46 am

thanks for ur comment on the vr system opcod..
it has now become personal as i had to justify myself in 2 emails of clients that have read this thread...one record u have.
just one ...