Presto 75A 1C Head

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

retrosonic

Presto 75A 1C Head

Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:40 pm

Guys,

I may be purchasing a Presto 75A lathe with a 1C head in really nice condition.

My question: Is there anyone that does overhauls on this unit to make sure its safe and operating correctly? I'm certainly willing to pay a reasonable price if their work is good. These units are from the '40s, I'm sure it will need some kind of work done.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Retro

concretecowboy71

Re: Presto 75A 1C Head

Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Member OPCODE66 rebuilds heads. He just did three for me and they are great. The presto should be stamped on the back of the head how it is wound (8 ohm, 500Ohm) I would suggest having it wound for 8 ohm so you can use home style or PA style amps to drive it.

Mechanically these are a cinch to work on. There is about 4 moving parts on the whole thing. Take it apart, clean it, make sure the motor spins, contact Terry's Rubber Rollers if the platter drive wheels need to be redone and you are good to go.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

rsimms3

Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:53 pm

I hear only good things about Todd's head rebuilds.

As for Terry, not sure he can be of help for a 75A. The 75A uses a rubber ring on the outside of the platter like the K series. I had a 75A and never tracked down a suitable replacement for the rubber ring. Someone found a suitable replacement on the K series but I haven't seen anyone mention an off the shelf replacement for the 75A. If Terry can help, that would be ideal. It will matter what condition the rubber is in because if it has flat spots or has dried/shrunk it may not run at true speed for 33 or 78. Something to consider as you explore the purchase of a 75A vs one of the 6 or 8 series Presto lathes. If it's the one on eBay you're looking at, the pictures look really nice on that unit.

boryo

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Is possible to mod the 75a to cut on 45 rpm?

Gridlock

Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:56 am

You bet your bottom lip there is a way. Record to tape at the highest speed possible then bump it down slow while cutting at 33 rpm. You can boost every frequency when it's all slow like that. It is akin to "half speed mastering" plus surface noise will be higher in pitch -easier to filter out in playback I must stress this is the best method. Adding a 45 puck will only compound the grungeness of your sound
<\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\[[[[[[[\/]]]]]]]\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\>
Recordette Sr.......Presto K-8

rsimms3

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:47 am

The 75a doesn't use an idler wheel like overhead Presto units (6N) making it an excellent candidate for update to 33/45 cutting. Because the motor and capstan raise and lower to change the speed you could have a machinist cut down your original one from 78 to 45 or have a new one made while keeping the original.