For Sale: Presto 6N lathe - fully operational & ready to cut

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

incontext

For Sale: Presto 6N lathe - fully operational & ready to cut

Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm selling my Presto 6N lathe. It's a complete turnkey operation with a Presto 1C Cutting Head (500ohm) accompanied by a custom built transformer to use the head with a modern 8ohm amplifier. There are three feedscrews (120, 160 and 192) included as well as several polycarbonate blanks, needles and a copy of Basic Disc Mastering. I bought the unit last year from Mike Dixon aka piaptk aka lathecuts.com and have used it to complete a bunch of personal projects as well as cutting a few releases for friends. It runs very smoothly and I have been really happy with all of the cuts I have been able to make. However, the times are changing and as I am moving from NYC to Vancouver BC, it’s time to find a new home for this wonderful machine.
IMG_7370.jpg
Here's a video from 1 year ago where Mike demonstrates the unit (with a different amp at the time) cutting an acetate.
The amp has since been upgraded to a Samson Servo 550 Studio Amp as recommended by Mike who uses the same unit with his other lathes.

At this point, the unit no longer has the custom case but rather, has a simple, but more sturdy portable black case made by Mike when he borrowed the lathe for a lathe cutting gig in NYC earlier this year. I’m traveling at the moment but will provide a picture as soon as I arrive back. In the meantime, here’s a pick of the unit when I had it mounted in a console rack unit within my studio and apartment.
IMG_8897.jpg
IMG_8896.jpg
Here's a video of the unit in operation cutting a polycarbonate lathe for my punk band, Flowers of Evil
I am asking $4,500 for the entire lathe setup. Pickup from Brooklyn NY would be ideal and in that case, I would throw in a free drill press that helps you drilling holes in discs if you want to make your own blanks (which is very cheap and easy to do). If you are planning on going that route, I can also give you a run down of cutting discs with the unit if it is your first time.

If shipping is necessary, something around $200 would probably cover US shipping. And additionally, should you be interested in it, the Allen & Heath mixer shown above is also available for an additional $200.

Please message me here or even better, email me and we can set up a dialog:

angus@incontextmusic.com

Cheers,
Angus
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

incontext

Re: For Sale: Presto 6N lathe - fully operational & ready to

Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:47 pm

Hi everyone. I chatted to a few interested parties but so far, no one has committed. As it stands, I've listed the lathe on eBay. I really need to sell this before the week is out so I can ship it properly before leaving for Canada. If you're in the market for a 6N, drop me a line sooner rather than later!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Presto-6N-Record-lathe-Record-cutter-restored-and-in-full-working-order-/171987359195?

incontext

Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:33 pm

Jumping in with a revised lathe trolls offer, $4,000 takes the lathe... we just have to keep it off ebay to avoid fees 8)

retrosonic

Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:31 pm

Wow!! Who bought it?? I was seriously thinking of picking that up, too.

incontext

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:21 pm

It's now in the good hands of my friends Daren at Control Modular in Brooklyn