Disc Cutting Lathe Wanted

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

kaiserL

Disc Cutting Lathe Wanted

Tue May 28, 2013 8:07 am

Does anyone know anyone that is selling one?, or how much a good one generally goes for?, a mate of mine wants to buy one here in U.S

drdub

Re: Vinyl cutting lathe

Tue May 28, 2013 9:33 am

how much does a car cost? and who am i talking to anyways...
satan spins vinyl

*** www.drdub.com ***

opcode66

Re: Vinyl Cutting Lathe Wanted

Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 pm

Can you tell us what price range you are looking for? What Mex was trying to suggest is that you could spend up to the amount of a new BMW on a lathe. So... What is your max dollar amount? You tell me that, I'll tell you your options.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

kaiserL

Thu May 30, 2013 7:24 am

opcode66 wrote:Can you tell us what price range you are looking for? What Mex was trying to suggest is that you could spend up to the amount of a new BMW on a lathe. So... What is your max dollar amount? You tell me that, I'll tell you your options.
thanks for replying. actually i want to spend 16,000 usd for those equipments. i know its not a big amount of money, but i hope i could start to make my record. i am not a audiophile, i just want to make some records which could play and display. i hope someone could give me some suggestion. thank you.

kaiserL

Re: Vinyl cutting lathe

Thu May 30, 2013 7:40 am

drdub wrote:how much does a car cost? and who am i talking to anyways...
my budget is about 16,000 usd, and I want to know the mainstream brands and price...thanks.

opcode66

Thu May 30, 2013 1:17 pm

That is not quite enough my friend. You need to continue saving. That would buy you a full blown Vinyl Recorder system with 6K to spare. But, Souri won't sell you a full blown system to start.

If you want a professional grade lathe, that is about half of what you will need. You may be able to find a Scully lathe for around 20K USD. But, a Neumann VMS70 will cost you at least 30K. But, that was before prices on all record cutting gear started going up. My guess is that the next Neumann that sells will set a new precedence with respect to pricing. I expect to see them going for more like 35 or 40 in the near future. You just can't find them for sale generally.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

Angus McCarthy

Thu May 30, 2013 1:33 pm

If you are looking to do this as a hobby, your best best is to go the semi-pro route. You can find a Rek-O-Kut or Presto 6N on eBay these days for anywhere from $600 - $1500, depending on condition and how many bells and whistles come with the package. You'll definitely be able to get some impressive-looking cuts, if that's what you're going for. The down-side is that the heads "easily" available for these machines are mono and usually of a limited frequency range (compared to top-tier mastering systems). You would still end up spending another fat stack to upgrade to a stereo-capable head.

opcode66

Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 pm

I'm thinking with an initial bank roll of 16K a suitcase cutter is not what this person wants...

markrob

Thu May 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Hi,
Perhaps an Presto 8DG ( a nice step up from the 6N type lathes) along with Flo's Caruso head and associated electronics would be a good middle ground. I think that combo would come in well below your 16K figure. You would have to be prepared to do some restoration/configuration work to make it really hum, but I think you would get some very nice results with that setup.

Mark

powerstrip

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:22 pm

opcode66 wrote:That is not quite enough my friend.
lies

I can get helium-cooled scully w haeco head for 17k

powerstrip

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:23 pm

markrob wrote:Hi,
Perhaps an Presto 8DG ( a nice step up from the 6N type lathes) along with Flo's Caruso head and associated electronics would be a good middle ground. I think that combo would come in well below your 16K figure. You would have to be prepared to do some restoration/configuration work to make it really hum, but I think you would get some very nice results with that setup.

Mark
truth

but where is an 8dg at?

concretecowboy71

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:28 am

Not lies.

Pretty ballsy to call somebody a liar that has more experience than you.

Scully is not Neumann and I think opcode was referring to a VMS70.

You are not going to get higher up the food chain without double the amount you quoted.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

opcode66

Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:06 pm

powerstrip wrote:
opcode66 wrote:That is not quite enough my friend.
lies

I can get helium-cooled scully w haeco head for 17k
Why would I lie to you? Am I trying to sell you something? No. Am I trying to screw you over? No. Am I answering your question? Yes. Will I answer any of your questions in the future? NO. Good luck.

opcode66

Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:49 pm

opcode66 wrote:You may be able to find a Scully lathe for around 20K USD. But, a Neumann VMS70 will cost you at least 30K.
To purchase a scully that has been restored it would cost you 20K. With no work put into it, yes, you might get one for the 17K you mention. But, you will probably have to put some work into it.

powerstrip

Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:49 pm

opcode66 wrote:
Why would I lie to you? Am I trying to sell you something? No. Am I trying to screw you over? No. Am I answering your question? Yes. Will I answer any of your questions in the future? NO. Good luck.
hey Hey, HEY!! easy there mate, I was just fooling a bit. I wasn't asking, I was butting in the conversation. Mainly just saying, it's abit of a hagglers market

I think you got some real knowledge on this board. A top contributor! We couldn't get by without you. Well, we could. But it wouldn't be as nice.

opcode66

Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:03 pm

If you can find deals, great! But, you generally see gear going for higher prices than just two years ago. Scully's go for less than Neumann's. That is the market. Get the deals you can. But, beware of buying someone else's "project" that they never quite finished. If you are spending that much I suggest that you either buy restored from a known source or buy a lathe that os know to currently be functionally cutting.

powerstrip

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:09 pm

Yeah I hear that, I think dr dub's response "how much does a car cost?" sums it up

I think jumping in at 16k is a terrible idea anyway. Baby steps are important. I guess if you have 16k to spend on the lathe, trashing a few styli at 100 bucks each is not a big deal. But it still is vital, just to familiarize yourself with the delicate mechanics involved. Even expert scully operators have made the mistake of sliding the carriage over, ready to cut; while the head was lowered, and broken a stylus in half.

And trust me, blowing a 300 dollar mono head and learning that hard lesson is way simpler than blowing a westrex, and paying DEARLY for that. ($4000 repairs can be common from what I hear.) I've seen smoke before. But it was getting close.

So yeah crawl before walk; somewhat important.

powerstrip

Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:14 pm

concretecowboy71 wrote:Not lies.

Pretty ballsy to call somebody a liar that has more experience than you.

Scully is not Neumann and I think opcode was referring to a VMS70.

You are not going to get higher up the food chain without double the amount you quoted.
shoulda worked in the smilies...comment was bit outta line but can be taken out of context at times. :oops:

MrMegaEli

Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:26 am

Hi all,
It looks like I will not be able to mount my WESTREX 3D on my Presto 14-B lathe (I have both Westrex and Grampian/Presto mounts with it, the drive motors and assembly have been restored with new rubber mounts and oil and grease)..so it should probably leave if its not getting used...feel free to shoot me an offer...

Eli