Early Western-Electric recording head on eBay

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Angus McCarthy

Early Western-Electric recording head on eBay

Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:25 pm

I put a bid in on this one just because it's so odd. Looking at the patent information it seems to have been meant for use in making Vitaphone discs in the mid-20s. The long body is apparently one giant mechanical dampener. Has anybody else come across one of these, and could you even fit to an existing lathe?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181021651224

Techie

Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:10 pm

I think this is what they called the "Dspec" cutter that was, in fact, used for the Vitaphone recordings, but remained in use for many years after for other disc recording.
The damper was a long rubber or foam tube within a tube with a tube with a metal vane running thru the center that was attached to the cutter. The Morrison book on disc cutting gives a lot of detail on the history and design. I believe the damper was modified / shortened when lacquer replaced wax discs.
I don't have the book in front of me - that was all from memory.

Serif

Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Good memory, Techie. That book, Disk Recording: 1930-1960 is choc full of lathe lore. I am reblown away by "D Spec" specs, such as:

Designed by Bell Labs, manufactured by Western Electric and "...leased on contract by the sales and service division, ...Electrical Research Products, Inc...

"...the cutting tool was received from the maker without any holding shank and had to be carefully lined up in the cutter stylus arm and shellacked in place.

"...The writer [Robert K. Morrison] found that sealing wax provided a better coupling..."'

And as you noted:

"...damping resistance in the form of a rubber hose about 10 inches in length. The "hose" really consisted of 3 hoses, one within the other, with a metal transmitting vane extending through the middle of this "hose nest." One end of the vane was fastened to the aluminum stylus holder and the other end left unclamped. The "hose stack" was loosely packed with sponge rubber and held in an aluminum holder. This holder was normally attached to the saddle and yoke assembly of the ... lathe, so one can see that this type of cutter was adaptable only to certain ... lathes. As the cutter [head] aged, the sponge rubber packing around the the hose disintegrated and had to be replaced to prevent an uncontrollable low end response..."

- Andrew
Last edited by Serif on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angus McCarthy

Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm out. If it's somebody here that wins let us know all about it!

EDIT:
Gone for $255! Hopefully it doesn't just sit around collecting dust for another 70 years...

Angus McCarthy

Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Here's another from the same seller!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181027564668

Not in as good a condition, though.