Nearly complete Presto 6N setup on eBay

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Angus McCarthy

Nearly complete Presto 6N setup on eBay

Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:54 pm

Here we go again! Rebuilt 1-C head. Five lead screws ranging from 96-150. A few Transco blanks, 4 styli and paperwork out the wazoo!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281019907709

Angus McCarthy

Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Wowee... :shock:

Final price, $2,524.00!

piaptk

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:12 am

Interesting... Shows you how much difference in working condition vs as-is makes. If youve got more money than repair skills and want to start cutting, its totally worth it to not have to putz around getting stuff fixed, finding missing parts, etc.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

dietrich10

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:35 pm

Price seems to make sense. Ready to go system
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Angus McCarthy

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:03 pm

piaptk wrote:If youve got more money than repair skills and want to start cutting, its totally worth it to not have to putz around getting stuff fixed, finding missing parts, etc.
But that's half the fun as far a I'm concerned.

piaptk

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Its half the fun if you know what you are doing, otherwise it is an enormous pain in the ass that you will pay $2500 not to have to deal with...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

powerstrip

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:11 pm

piaptk wrote:Its half the fun if you know what you are doing, otherwise it is an enormous pain in the ass that you will pay $2500 not to have to deal with...
Totally agreeing with angus here. What if something breaks? What if you need an adjustment? Last I checked, the presto repairman was retired. Pay not to deal with it from the jump, from there, you're basically on your own

I bought mine for 1/3 of the cost of this new setup, had to put about 500 usd into it, and it took about a year and a half for me to get around to.

So it is a toss-up. I felt so glad when it was finally running though!

piaptk

Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Well, there are enough roadblocks to good cuts if you know that your lathe is 100% functional... If your lathe is in unknown condition (an you dont have anyone around to help), you can waste a whole lot of time and money trying the billion different things that may or may not be the problem. It is significantly easier to fix something when you know how it worked before it was broken.

I, personally, wouldnt have paid that price right now (that ive had 4 years of experience with these machines), but i definitely would have 5 years ago, when i had absolutely no clue and had only seen one online, but really wanted to cut records, BADLY!
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.LatheCuts.com

powerstrip

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:16 am

^^^

yeah, exactly. I think this is what the winner was competing with. Prolly two people at the top of the chain who had never cut before, looking to get started.

I quit/got fired/ran out of steam from mt job last year and the cutter was staring at me all lonely in the corner, saying "you gonna work on me finally?" Finally had time to work on it, but then money became an issue, go figure.

Final verdict: Needed new stylus, new motor, tubes replaced, platter leveled, and...ready to go. bout $750 later