Caruso Prototype

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

blacknwhite

Mon May 09, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Flo,

Hope all's well; I'm still ready to buy, whenever you're ready to sell (as with everyone else here, I'm sure)...

- Bob

andybee

Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 am

I meet flo saturday, I ask him a bit about what´s going on,
and post it here, if he is fine with it!

:P

GrobbingThistle

Tue May 10, 2011 3:08 pm

I, too, am quite interested

djlithium

Tue May 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Yes yes. :)
I need a full cutting solution. But would consider parts :)

flozki

Wed May 11, 2011 3:46 am

yes.just some slight but important progress.

drivecoils under test now....

still install & redesign my workshop so at moment i can not work, as i was used to work buut it gets better every day....
and
this is quite off topic now
i was a little absorbet with other, also analog gear.hehe. big children.big toys...but feedback is also very important.

http://vimeo.com/channels/synkie
http://hackaday.com/2011/05/08/synkie-the-modular-synth-for-video/

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2011/04/synkie-a-modular-open-source-analog-video-processor.html

bancho

Wed May 11, 2011 5:41 am

TRUE analog VJ-ing!!!! TOTALLY RAD!!!!!! :o

Jordiphon

Wed May 11, 2011 6:08 am

Oh, that looks very nice!

petermontg

Wed May 11, 2011 7:15 am

cool. ill take an alu for a presto flo might take two but one for the moment.

will you pm details for payment when your ready flo
Peter Montgomery
+353(0)894926271
peter(at)petermontgomerymastering.com

Stereo cutter head wanted. Send email or smoke signals.

JayDC

Wed May 11, 2011 10:27 am

me 2.. I'll take one..
generally its for reproduction.. but i like to play wif it sometimes.. :P

JuanPabloCuervo

Thu May 12, 2011 2:39 pm

flozki wrote:right now i made 2 brass , 1 bronce, 1 aluminum and 1 plexi-glass headblocks.
What kind of Brass ?
what kind of Bronze ?

i mean:
recycled?
zinc % ? Lead? lead free? Tin % ? silver ? iron ? phosphor?
nickel ? silicon?

UNS number?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_copper_alloys

JuanPabloCuervo

Re: caruso outline. dimensions and drawings

Thu May 12, 2011 2:49 pm

flozki wrote:i had many requests about the exact dimensions of the head and also how to fix on a particular machine....

so here you find the blueprints of the caruso mainblock.
all necessary info is on it to find a solution to fix a caruso on your lathe.

this part wont change that much anymore. so you can prepare..

standard will be a (neumann) mount with 10mm (9.98mm exact) bar on the back of the head.

check.

or get the pdf:

http://www.floka.com/caruso/caruso_outer_dimensions.pdf
flozki wrote:the bar is for fitting on a neumann lathe.ou can attach whatever you want.
use the drawings.... and check how to fit...
anyone has the .pdf ?

thanks.

piaptk

Fri May 13, 2011 12:27 pm

How would I connect the pin connector on top to an amplifier? Are there other input options (standard speaker cable?) available?

opcode66

Fri May 13, 2011 2:49 pm

It is a standard DSub socket on top (female if memory serves). That means you would buy a mail DSub and and wire the terminal pins appropriately so as to connect your amps' drive and feedback as well as the current for a heating wire.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

JayDC

Fri May 13, 2011 7:30 pm

opcode66 wrote:It is a standard DSub socket on top (female if memory serves). That means you would buy a mail DSub and and wire the terminal pins appropriately so as to connect your amps' drive and feedback as well as the current for a heating wire.
I think its more of a clearance issue. Presto 6's have little room above the head..

I'd need to look at the drawing again, and whip out the ruler, maybe a right angle Dsub adapter will work. If not, I'd just lop off the "nose" on the presto w/ a hacksaw, it would be worth it i think..

If flo wires it with a little slack, the Dsub could be removed, and direct wire connections made.. Maybe an option from the factory?

piaptk

Fri May 13, 2011 11:00 pm

Would it be possible to use it without feedback? I still haven't exactly figured out what the hell feedback is and how to use it, despite reading all the threads about it.

JayDC

Sat May 14, 2011 3:16 am

piaptk wrote:Would it be possible to use it without feedback? I still haven't exactly figured out what the hell feedback is and how to use it, despite reading all the threads about it.
I would assume dat u just need to NOT plug in the feedback wires.. Feedback is not exactly rocket science, almost.. it's like a bias current to keep tings in check..

d

Sat May 14, 2011 7:20 am

If you have a Disk Recording Vol1 the red book then you can find there about feedback. Basically I don't think you will be able to use it without feedback, otherwise you can even damage the head. Feedback does a big job when used propertly and as I read here the Caruso will come with special preamp built along with the head. So you have to use it.

The concept is quite simple of feedback, and I have seen here some posted topics about it. There are some of explanations here....

Do

markrob

Sat May 14, 2011 10:59 am

piaptk wrote:Would it be possible to use it without feedback? I still haven't exactly figured out what the hell feedback is and how to use it, despite reading all the threads about it.
Hi,

You might be able to, but you will need a very radical EQ to make that happen. The open loop response of a moving coil head is very different than the typical Presto, Audax, or Grampian you are used to. The open loop velocity response looks like an inverted V with the peak at the system resonance (in the 1-2Khz range). The slope is +6db/oct below the resonance and -6db/oct above. You will also have to deal with taming the resonance peak depending on how well damped it is. Finally, there will be some deviations from the textbook response that you will need to deal with. It is also likely, that the response will vary under actual load when cutting vs. on the bench. You can use the feedback coil to monitor the output of the head and develop the correct EQ. You must also add in the RIAA curve after the head is linearized to flat response vs. velocity. You may be able to combine the two and simplify the process.

If you don't have the tools to do this, I'd strongly urge you to purchase any preamp supplied by Flo as this will be designed to get the most out of the head. Hope this helps.

Mark

piaptk

Sat May 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Cool.. I would actually use this on my 8C, which has plenty of vertical clearance. Just couldn't figure out how to input the music, looking at the pics, but if he is selling a preamp that controls the feedback, I'd definitely pick that up as well.

TotalSonic

Sun May 15, 2011 6:20 am

piaptk wrote:Cool.. I would actually use this on my 8C, which has plenty of vertical clearance. Just couldn't figure out how to input the music, looking at the pics, but if he is selling a preamp that controls the feedback, I'd definitely pick that up as well.
From my understanding based on what Flo said previously is he will be including with the head a PCB for the pre-amp along with schematics/parts list so that you could build the front end IRIAA encoder/feedback controller in your own chassis.

Best regards,
Steve Berson