WTB - Professional Stereo Lathe

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

WTB - Professional Stereo Lathe

Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 pm

Interested in purchasing a fully functional professional stereo lathe with cutterhead and amps. Price range between 10K and 15K. Anyone have something they are looking to part with?

Aussie0zborn

Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:40 am

Where are you?

TotalSonic

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 am

If you're looking for already working complete "turn key" systems - then the only ones I know of currently on the market run about twice your budget. If you're in the USA then Al Grundy in Brooklyn will likely have a Neumann system available for around $30k. Len Horowitz at History of Recorded sound might be able to direct you to leads for a Scully/Westrex system.

Keep your eye peeled on ebay and here as well as sometime systems do appear for even less than your budget - but most of the time these need restoration and are incomplete.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

flozki

Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:24 pm

for that budget it will be a little hard. in the range 25k upwards i have a few options...

opcode66

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:20 am

Well, I guess I'll be more specific. I'm in the midwest, USA. I would like something that will cut stereo.

Somthing maybe like a Universal lathe or a Presto 6N with a stereo head mounted. Maybe a westrex or neumann or vinylium head.

Amps would also be a treat.

Around 15K without shipping.

I understand that a working Scully, Manley, or Neumann lathe are more like 25K to 35K. Not at that level yet. ;-)

TotalSonic

Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:36 pm

opcode66 wrote:Well, I guess I'll be more specific. I'm in the midwest, USA. I would like something that will cut stereo.

Somthing maybe like a Universal lathe or a Presto 6N with a stereo head mounted. Maybe a westrex or neumann or vinylium head.

Amps would also be a treat.

Around 15K without shipping.

I understand that a working Scully, Manley, or Neumann lathe are more like 25K to 35K. Not at that level yet. ;-)
In that case there's definitely options out there, just keep an eye out for what appears here and on ebay. Again - you'll most likely need to piece together the system as it's rare for any of these types of lathes to come with stereo heads. The Presto 8DG with a Vinylium head that was on sale here from Madrid looks right up your alley - although I'd imagine shipping from Spain would make it a no go.

Anyway - I'd call what your looking "semi-pro" as you could cut dubplates and maybe master 45's or shorter LP sides at levels lower than what would be possible with Neumann & Scully systems. But with fixed pitch and higher rumble of things like Presto's you would have a harder time (read: not very likely except on an occasional basis) selling your services for lacquer mastering on a professional level.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

andybee

Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:35 pm

why don´t you buy a vinylium kingston cutter.
together with a technics 12x0 or presto, a very good choice to start!
you can later upgrade to a pro lathe from neumann, scully
whatever.

opcode66

Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Trying really hard to avoid a record player based system. I do not want wow and flutter....

Vinylrecorder has the precision motor and plate but they won't sell it to you with the initial system. They insist that you buy the record player based system and then wait. In the future you could buy the precision plate and motor.

Vinylium would be nice but I would want to instal it on something that will turn with precision. And, it seems like they take an awefully long time to get back to you about anything. And, they don't supply blanks. I find it unnerving to purchase a device like that and not have a reliable source of blanks.

I'm not sure Vinylike is actually up and running yet to get polycarbonates from. And, a lot of people say that Souri's blanks are the best.

I would buy a vinylium system but I would want a nice lathe to put it on. Something like a Universal or a Les Paul Taurus or a Presto 8. And, I haven't seen one of these for a while. That last ones on eBay were available before I was ready to buy. :-(

mossboss

opcode

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Hey
Do not be disheartened These prestos or whatever you missed out on, some, will be listed again no doubt about that
They are bought by some people on a whim when the fun goes out of them or once some people find out what they entail as well as the cost associatted in getting them up and running with some level of pro results such as you want to achieve they are put up for sale
So do a saved search on your ebay thing and keep on looking in here
It wont take long before you see one doing the rounds again thats for sure
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:53 pm

Well, I understand I don't have the largest budget. But for semi pro quality I think 10K to 15K is reasonable.

I am patient.

I am dedicated to learning to cut grooves. Eventually I'd like to own a Neumann. But, not until I have the experience necessary to use such a machine...

sprout23

Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:18 pm

I would suggest going for the vinylium dubcutter and get their diamond stylus for plastics. You can easily upgrade the cutting system to a bigger lathe later when one pops up. At least then you'll get to start learning the art of cutting.

jason

andybee

Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 pm

mossboss

Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:19 am

opcode66 wrote:Well, I understand I don't have the largest budget. But for semi pro quality I think 10K to 15K is reasonable.

I am patient.

I am dedicated to learning to cut grooves. Eventually I'd like to own a Neumann. But, not until I have the experience necessary to use such a machine...
Hey It is not that hard or complicated let me tell you In actual fact it harder to do it with these other things of the past past
The new machines today like you are talking about are made for lets say amature use so they have they limitations as well with a whole heap of solutions each one of them adding another level of complexity and an ongoing source of problems
So mate if you are so keen to learn than you buy yourself a few boxes of each 10" and 14" lacquers and a couple or 3 cutting styli as well, place them under your arms Jump on a plane find your way down under Melbourne Australia we will have you trained enough and cutting on a VMS in about 3-4 weeks time If you can rough it up a bit there is accommodation as well as a meal or two and you can get back wherever you are with sufficient knowledge as well as expertise and save yourself the double learning expensive curve
No you will not be an "expert" but you would be able to do a damn good job on most cuts required today
The rest will only come from a continious exposure to the machine and varied cutting work that comes through your doors
You need to have a clear grip of music, like mixing, or mastering or even be a muso yourself an understanding of electricals or knowledge therof will go a long way to, as this things need an ongoing love affair with they operator To many interconecting wires and to many relays always seeking some attention and yes there are technicians out there but they cost and they cost plenty
Ah and you can have a holiday as well as you would go through these lacquers in no time unless of course you want to go to the pressing shop and push some vinyl out Ha
Cheers
Cheers
Chris

opcode66

Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:26 pm

Wow, thank you so much for offering this.

It would take me another year or so to save the cash for something like a VMS lathe. I don't think I can wait that long. So, that is why I'm thinking about getting something in the meantime to learn on.

I was thinking about just going with vinylium and something like this for the overhead mechanism

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Record-Cutter-Cutting-Lathe-with-variable-pitch_W0QQitemZ260572548446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cab558d5e

Possibly fit a Rek-o-Kut B12 in place of the SP10.

Also got word of a Scully that is currently being restored with a Westrex 3D 2 head and haeco amps for 14K from a guy named Albert.

Not sure what I'm going to do. Really looking forward to having something to start cutting with. Even if I end up selling it after a few years and moving to a VMS.

I will certainly keep your offer in mind!!! Just fyi I do have a lot of studio experience. I've been writing electronic music for 14 years now. Have been in a few bands. I master all of my own works. I have a nice studio at home. Just needs a lathe....

Take Care,

Todd

piaptk

Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:12 pm

opcode66 wrote: I was thinking about just going with vinylium and something like this for the overhead mechanism

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nice-Record-Cutter-Cutting-Lathe-with-variable-pitch_W0QQitemZ260572548446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3cab558d5e
That's a neat looking lathe... is it a homebrew jobber made from a Presto?
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Simon

Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:15 am

I know the guy who is selling this.

Presto 8N mounted on a plinth with a SP-10

I know this works.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

piaptk

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:34 pm

Simon wrote:I know the guy who is selling this.

Presto 8N mounted on a plinth with a SP-10

I know this works.
SP-10s in working shape seem to go for $1000+ on ebay (and isn't included with the lathe). Are there other turntables that this would work with? The SP10 seems really low profile.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

sprout23

Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:59 pm

That lathe seems a bit pricey for what your really getting, and thats just the starting bid price. I bought a similar setup a few years ago for about the same price but it came with a grampian cutting system and a heat and vacuum setup. I'm sure this ebay auction will end with a very high price tag.

Simon

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:15 pm

SL-1200 1.3 lb-in torque
SP-10 MKII: 5.2 lb-in Torque!!
SP-10 MKIII 13.0 lb-in Torque!!!

as found on another site
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

sprout23

Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:56 pm

wow, that's some serious torque from the technics turntable