Scam Alert Ebay Record Lathes Vanrock and Hara

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Holly_457

Scam Alert Ebay Record Lathes Vanrock and Hara

Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:24 pm

Hello,

A strange first post to be sure!
I have been a member but never posted here before, as most of my questions have been answered by others posts and I don't own a lathe as yet.
But I'm finally financially able to invest in one and have time set aside to learn properly, thus leading to this post.
I was looking on ebay and came across this listing. *I've already reported the listing and emails associated with it to ebay, but I'm unsure how long it takes for them to investigate and take it down, so wanted to make sure no one here got caught by it.*

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rare-12-Hara-Record-Cutting-Lathe-Japanese-Vinyl-Recorder/233871265746?hash=item3673d04fd2:m:mRyjOnTZ44ZBgmkOm-Zbu1g&frcectupt=true

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Vanrock-Atom-E101-Japanese-Portable-Record-Cutting-Machine-Vinyl-Cutter-Lathe/233871265548?hash=item3673d04f0c:g:UzgAAOSwippgDeEo&frcectupt=true

- He asks you email him directly to do the purchases - so takes it directly off ebay and then claims it will be covered by ebay protection.
- Then asks for name and address and sends through a fake ebay invoice, - the process doesn't make any sense at all and then he wants you to pay by bank transfer. And there is no connecting link that goes to ebay on the fake ebay invoice.

Take Care Lathe trolls! :)

PMST

Re: Scam Alert Ebay Record Lathes Vanrock and Hara

Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:12 am

Listings seem to have been removed now

Holly_457

Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:23 am

Oh good!
I've never reported a scam before and it stayed up a good few hours, so wasn't sure how long it would take to investigate and remove them.

piaptk

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:27 am

These scam listings (especially for Van Rock/Hara) have been popping up pretty regularly, so be diligent.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

misjah

Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Scammers have discovered lathes now too hey?...already very known in tapemachine world, i can smell them from miles away. Often on ebay the “seller is away”, if the listing is an auction it only runs for a day/max 3...if its a fixed price its always way too good to be true. They often have a picture with their email/contact details on them. You can report them for this. Highly doubt ebay is checking all this manually.

SueDenim

Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:24 pm

... and as way of counter balancing, this one strikes me as being genuine but someone may know differently!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Vanrock-E101-Atom-A101-Record-Cutting-Lathe-Japanese-Vinyl-Recorder-Hara/333864151709

Holly_457

Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:10 pm

Yeah, that one is definitely legit I reckon!

misjah

Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:24 am

ask the seller for a picture of the item with a piece of paper on it with your name helps too.

Holly_457

Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:31 pm

Good idea! Would be hard to get around a straight up, reasonable request like that if it isn't a scam.

EposLab

Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:28 am

misjah wrote:
Scammers have discovered lathes now too hey?...already very known in tapemachine world, i can smell them from miles away. Often on ebay the “seller is away”, if the listing is an auction it only runs for a day/max 3...if its a fixed price its always way too good to be true. They often have a picture with their email/contact details on them. You can report them for this. Highly doubt ebay is checking all this manually.
Sure but scamming through ebay is totally stupid imo whatever the conditions of the selling! If you buy through ebay and pay through paypal then you're totally covered. I mainly buy and also sell there from time to time , one thing i know is that ebay always favor the buyers.
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

mrd

Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:43 am

There's a new batch of these up today - reported the ones I've seen.

I'm surprised when people bid on these things and don't check 'seller's other items' to see what other literally incredible deals they're offering and immediately turn off. This one seems particularly lazy as the shipping price is the same on each auction.

misjah

Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:06 am

EposLab wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:28 am
misjah wrote:
Sure but scamming through ebay is totally stupid imo whatever the conditions of the selling! If you buy through ebay and pay through paypal then you're totally covered. I mainly buy and also sell there from time to time , one thing i know is that ebay always favor the buyers.
ye well they hardly ever accept paypal...i've seen every trick in the book by now.